Shipping colonies

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are people shipping colonies? I've shipped plenty of frags but have no experience shipping larger corals. I want to be able to ship acros colonies from baseball size to softball size and not have them arrive as a bag of frags. Seems like I heard about putting shredded plastic bag material in the bag to cushion the coral. Also, won't the shipping charges for as much water as it would take be more than the value of the corals?

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, has anyone had any experience shipping or receiving colonies wrapped in wet paper towels with no water in the bag? I've read that the mucus can contaminate shipping water while it won't contaminate the air in the bag with the paper towel. It would also save on shipping costs.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received a tranship order of acro colonies from Jakarta, all of them were shipped fully submerged in water and about a tbsp of carbon in the bag.

Nurse Payne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H@rry, I received a nice size colony years ago and the shipper had mounted the frag to a Styrofoam square and suspended the frag upside down in the bag. The Styrofoam was cut to be a little larger than the frag itself (so a little larger than a softball for you). This allowed the sides of the bag to stay away from the frag. The bag was full of water. Mine arrived in perfect shape. I hope that helps some.

gacolt

JEEP STUFF
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H@rry, I received a nice size colony years ago and the shipper had mounted the frag to a Styrofoam square and suspended the frag upside down in the bag. The Styrofoam was cut to be a little larger than the frag itself (so a little larger than a softball for you). This allowed the sides of the bag to stay away from the frag. The bag was full of water. Mine arrived in perfect shape. I hope that helps some.
thats how my LFS does it when you buy colonies of acro

lockus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how we shipped larger colonies when I worked at a wholesale shop years ago.

Back