Tank water or rodi water with gryphon band saw

CJ7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those using a bandsaw is it ok to use rodi water or is it better to use tank water?

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you serious? Would you put your corals in straight rodi?

If. It were me, I'd use tank/salt water.

as per inland band saw they recommend using ro/di to cool down their blade when in use to cut corals. exposing the coral out of water would affect the coral more than a drip of ro/di IMO.
as for the gryphon i have heard that the warranty is voided if you use saltwater to cool down their blade.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as per inland band saw they recommend using ro/di to cool down their blade when in use to cut corals. exposing the coral out of water would affect the coral more than a drip of ro/di IMO.
as for the gryphon i have heard that the warranty is voided if you use saltwater to cool down their blade.

well, ill be. learn something new erryday

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use tank water. When I'm done I run a reservoir full of Ro/DI through to rinse the saw. Then I dry with a paper towel any metal parts.

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used RODI in any frag saw and have never had any ill effects/deaths when cutting coral this way.

reefstc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always used saltwater with my saw, no issue so far. I do rinse it throughly afterward though. Maybe I should start using RO water now...

JVI90gREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a LFS owner call Gryphon and speak to one of their reps about this. The RODI water was a little too harsh on the corals I was fragging! The rep said specifically that you CAN use saltwater with the saw, BUT to clean all the parts thoroughly with RODI water after each use. Primarily the upper/lower wheels, blade, and the reservoir. The literature that comes with the new C-40 aqua saw states that you should use RODI water, however, the rep also said the brochure has not been revised and will not be revised anytime soon. YES, I made absolutely sure that the message relayed from Gryphon rep was VERBATIM! LOL Happy fragging!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back