Reviving Chalice and Favia Coral

WallEyes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've acquired some chalice and favia coral that are in rough shape. After much reading I've found that I should cut away the dead skeleton from the frag to allow proper healing and growth; however, I would like to clarify some things so any input will be appreciated.

When cutting the dead parts off, should I also maybe remove a tiny fraction of living tissue? I believe the issue could be slow tissue necrosis? Should I superglue around the affected areas? After cutting the coral, what is a good dip to use; Coral RX, Lugol's Solution, other? I really would like to save the coral, so any input would be awesome!

Thanks

Usctom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low flow and low light area. Feed if they will eat. I like to use Revive.

shibbyplustax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a chalice that i got for free because it was in bad shape. I did not cut anything and the tissue seemed to regenerate over the areas where it was bare skeleton. I am not sure if cutting it back would have sped the process up but it was back to good health in a matter of 6-8 weeks

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favia do best of you cut into the healthy tissue. Chalices on the other hand I would recommend leaving alone. Feed frequently to help in the recovery process. Are either of them bleached?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I wouldn't worry about cutting it, just dip in revive and try to find a spot where it likes to be and leave it alone.

reefaboo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalices will grow back over the exposed skeleton but cutting off the exposed skeleton is good because the skin can grow over smoother surfaces better than on an exposed skeleton which is very rough.

So best course is to cut of the exposed part and keep it in low light low flow and feed it once every 2 to 3 days ..

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely shade both of them. If the chalice doesn't respond, for some reason, they actually do better when you put them in high light. We've had this problem several times where they bleach, recede, then die when we shade them. But when we blast them with light they come back. So if you don't see anything getting better in 2-3weeks in the shade for the chalice, put it in high light.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back