Glue woes

Bernardhny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried probably six different types of glues/epoxy to attach coral to my rock face. Each of them seem to cure nicely only to fail 3-4 days later resuting in waking up to toppled over coral laying face down in the sand.

It is getting to the point that I must be an idiot and just doing it wrong. Anyone have a recommendation for brand of glue they love?

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with the super glue i always get the gel one not liquid, and i use epoxy but i do notice after 3-4 days sometimes the coral really isnt "fixed" onto it... both methods kinda frustrate me also lol

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have good success with IC-Gel super glue. You just have to use enough of it at a time.
It helps if you have a spot the coral fits into to give it a little side support.

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 2 part epoxy that is for mounting corals and super glue gel. I mix up the epoxy for the amount I can use in a minute or so. Once mixed I roll it into a ball shape and then apply a dab of super glue gel on one side, then attach coral to epoxy ball outside of the tank (It helps to make sure coral base is not too wet). I then apply a larger dab of super glue to the other side of the epoxy ball and the place in tank exactly where I want the coral. I have had no problems mounting corals this way for years and the super glue holds until epoxy cures. Corals usually encrust over this area in short order and yes like mfinn said it helps to place coral in some type of hole, cavity or place where coral fits securely. Having said that I have mounted corals sticking straight out from a flat rock at all angles and it hold very well. The epoxy I use mostly is the Two Little Fishes brand but have also used the stuff they sell in the plumbing dept at Lowe's with no problems. Good luck!

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of a thing! Take the epoxy and stick it onto a rock smeared with super glue. then stick the coral in the epoxy, then hake it out, put glue in the hole and put the coral back in, then push it all together.
I'll try this next coral I get and see if this is or isn't some dumb idea that'll end in something dying.

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a gel glue like the IC and never have problems. Make sure your plug or disk is dabbed off,then apply the glue. Once you dunk the plug in the water the glue skins up. what you have to do is rub the plug on the rock until you see that the glue is sticking to the rock and plug then apply a little pressure for a few seconds until the glue holds. if you don't smear it around to break the skin that forms when you put it in the water it will never stay long term.

cchsoracle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried a number of super glues, and all have worked for me. The best thing to do with plugs or larger corals is to use a combo of super glue and 2 part epoxy. Put a dab of super glue, then a ball of 2 part, then another dab of super glue on top of the ball of 2 part. The 2 part takes time to cure, but is a stronger bond, the super glue holds it in place until the 2 part cures.

As for the actual act of placing it, once you have your glue on the plug/frag, i usually push it down onto the rock, then slightly pull it away and twist at the same time. You will see the glue string up, then push it back down firmly and hold it steady for 10 - 20 seconds. That should do it! I have never had a frag come loose unintentionally with this method.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back