Monti fragging technique

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's basically how I "frag" my encrusting monti.. where I put the original frag it spread on to the surrounding rock, I then removed the plug and inserted a clean new plug, it gets encrusted then removed, then another, and so forth..

jduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take longer for it to grow up the side of plug, then down or across.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have mine on standard 1inch circle or square frag plates, then glue that ontop of a 2inch frag disk, same concept, I snap it off then it has encrusted a good portion of the 2inch disk. :)

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good thread too! I originally glued my monti frag plug to the side of a rock and it has spread and encrusted onto the rock. I was wondering if you snap off the plug (I really hate the word snap), will the rest of the monti (already encrusted on the rock) still grow or will it die? Propagation is a new concept for me, so I'm a little afraid of screwing this up. What are your opinions?

OP
OP
Oscaror

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good thread too! I originally glued my monti frag plug to the side of a rock and it has spread and encrusted onto the rock. I was wondering if you snap off the plug (I really hate the word snap), will the rest of the monti (already encrusted on the rock) still grow or will it die? Propagation is a new concept for me, so I'm a little afraid of screwing this up. What are your opinions?
I would think it would have a higher survival chance, seeing how you're not dragging it into the air and stressing the slime out of it.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The rest of the monti will be just fine. Just take the original frag and place it somewhere else or make new frags of it. the part that is encrusted to the rock will continue on and eventually fill in the empty space

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this technique with many other corals (Acans, chalices, even delicate accros...)
I usually use epoxy instead (Small amount of epoxy that I press on teh rock next to the coral. Don't press too tight so you can detach faster, also keep a peeled edge so its easier to pull out) Definitly works for corals you can't take out of the tank and gives a better success rate even if a bit slower to have encrust and growth...

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it would have a higher survival chance, seeing how you're not dragging it into the air and stressing the slime out of it.
I agree,and the recovery time is faster.I had noticed that some corals( like seasons greetings montipora) refuse to grow this way.The coral was like "Oh,you want me to grow on those frag plugs? Well I'm going to grow everywhere except those frag plugs!"For this particular case I used the smooth ceramic frag plugs.Perhaps the rougher cement type plugs are better suited for this purpose.

BADXGILLEN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as those plugs are seasoned in the tank for some time or covered in coraline the coral should take to it. I think I have mentioned the benefits of coral attachment to prepared surfaces before and rough is better than smooth in almost every case.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to frag montis is to break them like that. If you use a saw they loose color and it takes a few weeks for them to color. The problem with your method is it will take a long time. Just try to snip a pjece and glue it to a tile. Love the gif thought well done.

OP
OP
Oscaror

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to frag montis is to break them like that. If you use a saw they loose color and it takes a few weeks for them to color. The problem with your method is it will take a long time. Just try to snip a pjece and glue it to a tile. Love the gif thought well done.
What do you mean about straws?

Coraloliseffect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the gif maker is great. Yes that works. as is lazyer, and looks better in the tanks, once you have a dedent colony, you can usely get some bone cutters on it and snip a peice off.

OP
OP
Oscaror

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the gif maker is great. Yes that works. as is lazyer, and looks better in the tanks, once you have a dedent colony, you can usely get some bone cutters on it and snip a peice off.
Can you cut pieces off encrusting montis? I'd think you can only cut them off if they've grown up a thin piece of rock.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back