MH Distance from Water / Frags

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice regarding MH placement and lighting duration. I'm running a 250w MH lamp (Sfiligoi) over a 40G Breeder as a frag system.

What is the ideal distance of the light from the water level and the depth of the frags and total light duration? I have the option to run four 24" T5 bulbs in combo with the MH but I currently have the T5 turned off.

Initially I had the face of the light about 19" from the water, then my frags were about 5" under the water line. The corals I had under there bleached pretty bad and eventually died, even with a 3-4 hour light cycle. Although, they were in rough shape to begin with.

I'm more or less starting over with frags, most of them were not salvageable, so I want to make sure I get it right this time. I removed the posts from my frag rack allowing the tray to sit 13" under the water line.

19" is the highest I can raise my light but I'm flexible anywhere from 5" deep to 13" deep for the frag tray. I can simply cut the PVC supports to the desired length or remove them entirely (13").

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm a T5 guy so the MH I'm still getting used to.

Last edited:

hobbzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
19" inches is fine. Start everything on the bottom, and slowly work them upwards over a few weeks. Also do research on what you buy to see what kind of intensity it likes. Most people do 6-8 hours with mh.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll give that a try. All frags are now at the bottom and I'll start to increase the lighting duration.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back