reef safe propagation tool?

Derek'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if these are safe to propagate sps with. Also can I propagate in the dt. I have a colony attached to a rock that I can't or dont want to pull out.

20140921_172530.jpg

Im mainly worried about any chemicals used on it for maybe rust resistance.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give it a good soak in vinegar to clean off any oil coating. Other than that I don't see any problem.

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would definitely want to clean off the machine oil after that I have used similar in the past, but be sure to wash real well afterwards as they will rust pretty quick.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would definitely want to clean off the machine oil after that I have used similar in the past, but be sure to wash real well afterwards as they will rust pretty quick.

This! Alls it takes one one time and a week...

OP
OP
Derek'sReef

Derek'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bone cutters that come in frag packs. Do they rust. I might juts buy some of those. Or maybe someone has some used ones they will sell cheap lol. Probably still gonna use these but I would like some different sizes.

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes most bone cutters will rust after a while also unless you purchase stainless steel ones. Keep in mind what ever you eventually decide to use just wash really well with fresh water and dry well and they will last a long time if you don't then no matter what you use they will eventually rust in a salt water environment. :)

OP
OP
Derek'sReef

Derek'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I gotn some distilled white vinegar to soak these cutters. How long should i soak them for and should it be like a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of water and vinegar or straight vinegar.

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak them in straight vinegar and I would probably scrub them with a toothbrush that you don't use anymore. I would think an 1/2 hour or so should be fine maybe scrub a few times and make sure and open and close them all the way because of any machine oil where the 2 halves are put together.

OP
OP
Derek'sReef

Derek'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks im gonna go that right now. Should I rinse in hot water after. Gonna do some fraggin in the mornin. Getting a frag ready for the grow out challenge.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot water should help wash away any oily residue after the scrubbing. It helps wash away cooking oil, so I imagine it would work the same for machine oil :)
My "frag kit" is a pair of diagonal pliers like the ones pictured, a razor blade and super glue. Ive never had an issue using them in or out of the water.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back