Keep one big prop system or split it into four seperate systems?

xroads

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK here is my current set up.

I have four frag tanks, each one is 4 ft x 8 ft x 12 inches. They all run to a common sump, and have a big calicum reactor and skimmer that services it.

I am not happy with the setup right now as I am propping all kinds of corals. So the optimal water conditions for my acros is not the same for my chalices and blastos and zoas.

I am debating on making the four tanks into four separate systems.

The pro's

Tweak the water conditions for each species. BIGGEST ISSUE

If there is a catastrophic failure, I don't loose everything.

The Cons

Apex runs the system, so would have to spend lots of $$$$ to have it run 3 more systems

Extra skimmer, sump, return pump for each system.

Water stability. Nice thing about having 1500 gallons on one system is that it easier to keep parameters stable.

What would you do, and anything I didnt think of?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would leave it as one system. If you're going to split it, just split it into 2 systems instead of 4...maybe do one for sps and one for lps/softies. The biggest con to me that was left out was all of the added maintenance you will have with 4 systems...keeping them all functioning well will be a big job.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it as one system. If you're going to split it, just split it into 2 systems instead of 4...maybe do one for sps and one for lps/softies. The biggest con to me that was left out was all of the added maintenance you will have with 4 systems...keeping them all functioning well will be a big job.

Agreed, having 4 separate systems is going to be a lot of added work. If the sps aren't doing well I would if anything put them in their own system and keep the others together.

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, I'd just run one or two tanks for SPS and the rest for your other corals. I'd think zoas, chalices, and blastos would all be fine in the same water conditions.
375 or 750 gallons is still plenty stable for SPS.

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you plumbed them in series so the skimmed water returned to sps and the last in the chain was lps/softies? They'd get the benefit of nutrients being downstream from the others but you'd still just do maintenance on one system, be able to continue running apex without a lot of additional cost, and have the added stability of the larger system. Pics would be appreciated for us nano guys

OP
OP
X

xroads

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all

I will try to get some pics sometime. The running in series in interesting. The problem is they all drain through a stand pipe in the bottom. I will give that some thought to see if I can do something with that.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say split it. But only into two seperate systems. So you can still tweak your comditions still have an overall water mass. Less work

ambergris caye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you split, consider putting frags of your best corals into both systems. That way if you have a catastropic failure in one system, you still have some part left in the other system.
I run two systems, focusing on improving the lesser performing system. It can be easier to see how changes affect corals when you can compare the same coral in two systems side by side.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back