I HATE HATE HATE plastic Frag plug's

ermartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure If im saying it in the right place.... But I had to say it

I hate plastic frag plugs. I just got a real nice shipment of frags today all encrusted nicely on black plug's... the big issue is when i go to mount them i have 2 choices. break the coral off or try and cut the plug. I always opt to cut the plug but since they are hard plastic they snap and 9/10 times the frag breaks off as well ... I just hate them to death

That is all

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Plastic is way over done. And now frag plugs too? Use some lr rubble at least.

OP
OP
ermartin

ermartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes the flat disks are my favorite. the ceramic plugs aren't that bad because I have found if you just squeeze the bottom Pin with pliers they will snap right off or crumble leaving a nice flat-ish disk

Have you tried using a dremel tool or similar to cut off the bottom of the plug? I have got to the point where I hate the ceramic plugs because if you don't have a perfect hole in the rocks, you have to grab some putty and get all MacGyver with it. I have grown to like the flat disks

fly5150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you cutting the plastic with that it's breaking? Jigsaw? :). I cut the plastic ones all the time with my frag saw.

OP
OP
ermartin

ermartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure that would work.... but i shouldn't need to own a frag saw to mount my frags I buy. There are a lot of ways to cut them but I guess my point is I shouldn't have to break out my power equipment to mount a frag that's mounted on a black (or white as I have seen recently) piece of plastic. the only reason people are using them that I can figure is for window dressing. OOOO look at this frag its mounted on this high end plug so you know its good :) . I think whoever came up with it must have worked for APPLE on there product packaging. Just give me CERAMIC disk's and PLUGS make my life easy :) Maybe ive given someone out there the idea to invent a plastic plug that you can snap the bottom off of without the need for power tools and they will make a fortune on it ... In the end all cynical thoughts aside I understand they are used because they have the easy access hole to mount frags that ceramic doesn't have but dang it they should work harder and use the plugs i want :)

What are you cutting the plastic with that it's breaking? Jigsaw? :). I cut the plastic ones all the time with my frag saw.

fly5150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I bought a frag saw, I would use an angle grinder and a diamond blade to cut the bottoms off. I think a lot of people do it that way, or at least a dremel to cut off the plugs. Also, some frag racks (eshopps) include some clear plastic frag plugs with the rack. Eshopps also has those frag rocks, which are painted plastic, also has plastic frag plugs.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!!! I hate them with a passion. Ceramic is easy, squeeze and they crumble. I tried to cut an ora plug with my multi tool, the frag got super hot, threw plastic around and I only got half way before I broke the coral off. Yea a frag saw would be great, but it's a silly thing when ceramic are so easy. Unique corals will cut them flat just fyi.

OP
OP
ermartin

ermartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!!! I hate them with a passion. Ceramic is easy, squeeze and they crumble. I tried to cut an ora plug with my multi tool, the frag got super hot, threw plastic around and I only got half way before I broke the coral off. Yea a frag saw would be great, but it's a silly thing when ceramic are so easy. Unique corals will cut them flat just fyi.
Wish i had know that. that's where i got my last order ALL on plastic. the stuff was real good so im sure ill order again... and request they be cut before shipping

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back