fragging zoas

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are some zoas easier to frag than others. I have one of the nicest purple hornet colony's around. I frag those and my frags are about as nice as it gets. Some one in my club posted a pic of it awhile back and had 20 frags sold at the next meeting. When I do other zoas they are never as nice they blow off or they die. The hornets are on a rock and the others are mostly on plugs. I did some orange bam bams the say day as I did these hornets the hornets were open in 2 hours the bam bams aren't fully open after 2 days

tuna_bullet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I frag I use Iodine In a tuber ware to soak them with saltwater to help them not get Infections and fungus, also when I frag I try to make sure there is some kind of rock or coral shell that I can glue to the plug, if you scrape the zoa off chances are when they expand and contract they will float away or melt from a reaction to the super glue put on there base...just my .02

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I frag I use Iodine In a tuber ware to soak them with saltwater to help them not get Infections and fungus, also when I frag I try to make sure there is some kind of rock or coral shell that I can glue to the plug, if you scrape the zoa off chances are when they expand and contract they will float away or melt from a reaction to the super glue put on there base...just my .02

+1. I think making sure you cut a piece of whatever the zoa is growing on rather than scraping them is one of the biggest keys for healthy frags.

Loves2Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used bone cutters to get a little chunk of rock they are attached to. Better survival rate and will let the frags grow faster.

Chalicedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I frag my zoas I use a fresh # 22 scalpel blade and bone rongeurs and lugal's solution. First I cut between the desired zoas as to separate the base from the ones I don't want. Then with the bone rongeurs cut the surrounding plug and the frag should come right off. and then I place the frag solution use tank water about 1 cup then add 20 drops of lugol's. I hardly ever lose a single frag.

quatro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like iodine as well fer fresh cuts. I use a bandsaw and have great sucess...but it is an expensive tool fer fragging zoas!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back