How do you label your frags?

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few frags that came with little plastics numbers attached to them.This looks professional but I don't think the tags are readily available.I have also seen companies mark the frag plug with what appears to be permanent marker.I am curious if this is considered safe.What are your methods or thoughts on coral tagging?

BADXGILLEN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some places that use label maker plastic markers, some have what appears to be a scuba style underwater marker, even small bread tie looking plasitc embedded in the frag cookie itself for IDs in some mariculture specimens, and yes pemanent marker. How safe the chemical compounds in the ink are or the adhesives used would be a study I would like to see but I know of none.

talwen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually draw a diagram of the flag rack they are on and just label them on paper and catalog how many and what kind of polyps.

x3m_coral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Score a number code on the bottom of plug, usually stays readable for a long time. Can use any sharp object or dremel.
Make a listing on computer or phone, you can add picture and using code number and coral name as file name.

x3m_coral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom = underside of frag plug that usually stays clean
If you glue your plug to a rock than this is not a way to label it.

Tank.Bro!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs for internet sales a opoxy a tag to it that has are of propagation sale number and on the underside name/nickname. The sale numbers are like this softies are 100-199 Lps 200-299 sps 300-399 if there are more than 100 frags for each category they doo like 146a and 146b so two sections of each. It is a weird way of doing it but it works and it makes it easy to identify from site to your tank. The tags are just prices of plastic that they cut into a circle and they have a little lip thing hanging off so they can glue it.

FinzAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like so... I do however heatseal my bags below the "zip lock" to ensure they stay fully healed

labeledproduct.jpg

OP
OP
kireek

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some places that use label maker plastic markers, some have what appears to be a scuba style underwater marker, even small bread tie looking plasitc embedded in the frag cookie itself for IDs in some mariculture specimens, and yes pemanent marker. How safe the chemical compounds in the ink are or the adhesives used would be a study I would like to see but I know of none.
Thank you BADXGILLEN,I have seen the imbedded tags before on some larger pieces.Now that's planning ahead!

i haven't done had any coral frags yet to worry about but this looked like a great and easyway

BOX 12" Plastic Pull-Tight Seal, Green | Staples®
I can see how this would work for branching corals like frogspawn,provided the plastic is reef safe.

I usually draw a diagram of the flag rack they are on and just label them on paper and catalog how many and what kind of polyps.
I use a similar method when I first receive shipments.I mess with my corals too much for this to work long term.
Score a number code on the bottom of plug, usually stays readable for a long time. Can use any sharp object or dremel.
Make a listing on computer or phone, you can add picture and using code number and coral name as file name.
Good idea!

Label for personal use/catalog or in selling?
Either,or.I plan to label my personal collection and I want to consider all the options.
My lfs for internet sales a opoxy a tag to it that has are of propagation sale number and on the underside name/nickname. The sale numbers are like this softies are 100-199 Lps 200-299 sps 300-399 if there are more than 100 frags for each category they doo like 146a and 146b so two sections of each. It is a weird way of doing it but it works and it makes it easy to identify from site to your tank. The tags are just prices of plastic that they cut into a circle and they have a little lip thing hanging off so they can glue it.
This sounds like a good method for larger quantities and printed tags look nifty.

Am I just being lazy when I label the bag with a sharpie? :)

Like so... I do however heatseal my bags below the "zip lock" to ensure they stay fully healed
Using a sharpie on the shipping bag is the way to go and courteous IMO.

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if i would have read i would have seen this was how to label corals lol sorry i didnt read it fully. I agree with @FinzAquatics labeling the bag or container

Here is my 2 cents on how to keep track of your corals. I have been working on something to keep track of all your corals but never got anything i liked. Seeing this thread i started going through other possible apps and stumbled across this http://www.sortlyapp.com/

This is an iphone app that keeps track of your things. Its awesome you can create multiple FOLDERS (aka reef tanks) and put different coral in each tank. You can assign the corals a price so you know how much you paid for them and you can put multiple pictures with them! There is also areas for tags and descriptions. There is a product info section which will allow you to put a purchase date so you can track when you purchased it! and a return date if it died possibly?

You could use the lender information to possibly keep track of who you got it from? you could also put that in the description as well. You could even put equipment on this to keep track of how much you spent on the tank lol

Something pretty neat and SUPER SUPER easy to use and manage. (coming to other devices and the web soon per their website)

hope this helps some people keep track of their corals this is exactly what i have been looking for.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back