what type of glue/epoxy is the best for fragging corals

Kehaulani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. What type of glue or epoxy do you guys use when fragging corals? I have some zoas and mushrooms that I want to frag and someone told me that super glue gel was the best. Before I use it just wanted to see if there was something better or safer to use on my corals. I want to make sure it doesn't just come off the rock I'm attaching it to.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/r2...-thread-you-could-win-tunze-9012-skimmer.html

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Superglue gel (cyanoacrylate) will work on the zoanthids (the thicker, the better). Mushrooms on the other hand, usually won't attach well with glue. You can place them in a small container with some crushed coral or small bits of rock rubble in a low flow area of your tank or frag area. You can also cover the mushroom with some light-weight mesh to hold them in place. The mushroom should eventually attach itself to the smaller pieces of rubble. Then you can superglue the rubble with the mushroom attached in an appropriate location in your tank.

Last edited:

quatro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the cheap dollar tree 2 pack fer $1 for the longest time and I just recently bought a bottle of glue from oceans wonders. I can honestly say that I now have a new go to glue. But, if yer not a big fragger/gluer I'd say stick with the dollar tree stuff. Loctight has a gel glue that works well but it's expensive in comparison to the rest.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either the loctite CA or even better, I used to just use my hobby CA and kicker. One drop off CA and then a drop of kicker instantly sealed and solidified a solid bond.

Hobby stuff is cool because you get all kinds of consistency from thin, to thick, to gap filling, etc. And all work for frags.. The gap filling is really, really good! And then with the CA kicker, all of them are instant bonds! No holding under water and waiting..

My preferred brand is BSI and there kicker also. But ZAP is decent also, just doesn't have the shelf life of the BSI and the kicker bottles always seem to break in me..

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using super glue gel for 6 years. It's the best way to go. The liquid gets all over the place.

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use super glue gel most of the time for frags and then I use WaterWeld when I epoxy rocks.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've gotten into using epoxy, and then putting a dab of super glue gel to reinforce the mold

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glue tell for me too, mushrooms don't glue very well better to let them attach on their own as Fin stated above.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Superglue gel (cyanoacrylate) will work on the zoanthids (the thicker, the better). Mushrooms on the other hand, usually won't attach well with glue. You can place them in a small container with some crushed coral or small bits of rock rubble in a low flow area of your tank or frag area. You can also cover the mushroom with some light-weight mesh to hold them in place. The mushroom should eventually attach itself to the smaller pieces of rubble. Then you can superglue the rubble with the mushroom attached in an appropriate location in your tank.

I agree.When fragging zoas I like to let the super glue gel set for a good 15-20 minutes.This makes the glue tacky and the slimy zoas will bond better.

Back