Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which company do you prefer to use for shipping corals and fish? What way would you prefer to receive your corals or fish?

Last edited:

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this the best packaging I have received when comes to corals was from cherry corals my corals was in the cold for two days and when they finally got delivered they where still warm and alive

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In my area, USPS has been the cheapest for shipping, but don't get overnight deliveries.

When I have corals coming in I prefer to have it shipped by FedEx.
Very easy to have them hold for pickup. I usually can get the corals in my tank a couple hours earlier.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally I order everything from my LFS, that are cool like that and give a great discount (almost cost) for the stuff they do not have.
if ordering online....Dry good can come the cheapest, but live animals must get here asap IMO

OP
OP
kireek

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use USPS for shipping as the office is within walking distance of my home.I can send packages to other areas of Oregon or Washington for $15.00 and the package will usually get to the addressee overnight.I prefer to receive my order with FedEx because my box will arrive earlier in the day.I do appreciate how UPS will almost always knock before taking off.
KorD your LFS sounds awesome!

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use FedEx. They have 3 overnight methods. Ups has 1, who knows what time of day it will show up. FedEx is more expensive for that control.

I've had two bad experiences with them in the last month.

1. ordered a chalice and it took them 2 nights and $350 for the chalice and it was dead. I got $140 back

2. I shipped. They didn't pick up the package so I raced 35 miles each way to the last drop off spot so I could get my order out. Obviously out gas money and time.

The way you package corals can be life and death. I only use 1.5 inch thick coolers, triple bag, and use two 40 hour heat packs this time of year.
The chalice I ordered was a home made 1/2 inch cooler, double bagged, 1 heat pack. Equals dead coral if held two nights.
I spend $10-15 each time I package, I eat that cost, shipping costs alone are high, I dont add price to my corals.

If profit margin is what people want then I don't want to talk to you. I understand business. don't get rich off me, but make a living, you'll get more of my money.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may just be where I live, but I have had many corals delivered over the past few years...

UPS next day is always before 10:30, many times they are 9:00.

Fed Ex priority overnight has NEVER met their promise of before 10:30. Not even once. I am lucky if I get the package by noon. If there is even a hint of bad weather they will and have cancelled the delivery. In fact here is the tracking from my last fexex order from unique corals. No dig at UC, they are amazing.

Live in a suburb of the capital, nothing remote about it. I was home of course, buy they don't even knock.

fx.JPG

mdiesel

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ups in my area as I've never had a problem with them and neither have the people I have shipped to . Always on time or earlier , package always in same shape , simple and easy . Also cheaper than fed ex in my area for the same size and weight box going to same destination. I agree with you green! I live 40 mins from cherry corals but the first time I ordered from them I had them ship instead of local pickup and I was more than impressed . The way they packaged was amazing . Shipment all arrived and as I was taking everything out of the styro and placing on the counter the polyps started to open already lol . Nothing but good words to say about ups for shipping packages and cherry xorals from recieving packages .

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the mirror comment! Read somewhere that a hobbyist put "biohazard" on his boxes, not sure if it was a joke but made me laugh. Shipping does come down to packing no matter what time of year it needs to be right. Personally I like getting FedEx, boxes come earlier. UPS does hit the doorbell though, not FedEx...what's with that? Shipping depends on what I'm sending and when. Zoas spring and fall, USPS will save a customer cash via priority. Maybe enough for them to get an extra frag.
Comment of supply costs being part of seller doing business, couldn't agree more. If I want to off set my coral addiction by selling a couple frags there is a cost in doing so. A couple bucks, asking a buyer to do that just isn't something I will do. Besides let's be honest how many boxes from what we received are laying around to be used for what will be sent

OP
OP
kireek

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use FedEx. They have 3 overnight methods. Ups has 1, who knows what time of day it will show up. FedEx is more expensive for that control.

I've had two bad experiences with them in the last month.

1. ordered a chalice and it took them 2 nights and $350 for the chalice and it was dead. I got $140 back

2. I shipped. They didn't pick up the package so I raced 35 miles each way to the last drop off spot so I could get my order out. Obviously out gas money and time.

The way you package corals can be life and death. I only use 1.5 inch thick coolers, triple bag, and use two 40 hour heat packs this time of year.
The chalice I ordered was a home made 1/2 inch cooler, double bagged, 1 heat pack. Equals dead coral if held two nights.
I spend $10-15 each time I package, I eat that cost, shipping costs alone are high, I dont add price to my corals.

If profit margin is what people want then I don't want to talk to you. I understand business. don't get rich off me, but make a living, you'll get more of my money.

Thank you for your input Stephanie11! It is unfortunate about your pricey chalice.Was it properly insured? I would consider using FedEX more often if the office was closer to my home.Do they normally offer pick up?Your shipping method sounds good!

Fedex, easy
FedEx has been in the lead during the duration of this poll.

This may just be where I live, but I have had many corals delivered over the past few years...

UPS next day is always before 10:30, many times they are 9:00.

Fed Ex priority overnight has NEVER met their promise of before 10:30. Not even once. I am lucky if I get the package by noon. If there is even a hint of bad weather they will and have cancelled the delivery. In fact here is the tracking from my last fexex order from unique corals. No dig at UC, they are amazing.

Live in a suburb of the capital, nothing remote about it. I was home of course, buy they don't even knock.

fx.JPG

I use ups in my area as I've never had a problem with them and neither have the people I have shipped to . Always on time or earlier , package always in same shape , simple and easy . Also cheaper than fed ex in my area for the same size and weight box going to same destination. I agree with you green! I live 40 mins from cherry corals but the first time I ordered from them I had them ship instead of local pickup and I was more than impressed . The way they packaged was amazing . Shipment all arrived and as I was taking everything out of the styro and placing on the counter the polyps started to open already lol . Nothing but good words to say about ups for shipping packages and cherry xorals from recieving packages .

It may be that UPS is underrated.I received a large shipment yesterday and the carrier handed the box right to me,it never touched the cold porch.I know of only one drop off location in my town.Perhaps they offer pick-up?

Love the mirror comment! Read somewhere that a hobbyist put "biohazard" on his boxes, not sure if it was a joke but made me laugh. Shipping does come down to packing no matter what time of year it needs to be right. Personally I like getting FedEx, boxes come earlier. UPS does hit the doorbell though, not FedEx...what's with that? Shipping depends on what I'm sending and when. Zoas spring and fall, USPS will save a customer cash via priority. Maybe enough for them to get an extra frag.
Comment of supply costs being part of seller doing business, couldn't agree more. If I want to off set my coral addiction by selling a couple frags there is a cost in doing so. A couple bucks, asking a buyer to do that just isn't something I will do. Besides let's be honest how many boxes from what we received are laying around to be used for what will be sent

I agree the USPS Priority is a economical way to send a few smaller frags.At the same time I have witnessed some rough handling of the packages with this company.Triple bagging and a whole lot of tape is a must.As for the cost of supplies I have hoards of salvaged packaging.I do have to purchase the bags and heat packs and would not charge extra for them.

Reef_Lounge_USA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We currently use UPS. We have tried Fedex and have no complaints about them however with UPS our overnight packages arrive usually by 10 am which was not always the case with Fedex. We tried USPS for about a week and quickly stopped when a few packages that were shipped as next day were delivered two day. Not acceptable when we are dealing with living things. The coral all arrived alive but we can't take that chance especially when the weather is very hot or cold.

MatteZ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Register with shipnex.com. It will save you tons in shipping. Up to 60%! They use fedex. I wouldn't ship anything any other way. I got a quote to ship something from NJ to CA and was told it would be 83. I put the zip codes into my shipnex account and it was like 44 bucks. It's free to register. Once you do create an account then they will call you from a NY number to verify. They ask what you are shipping and tell them coral. Then you are good to go.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming from a backround of breeding, selling and shipping pricy tanganyikan cichlids, I'm very surprised by the lack of use of air cargo. This was THE shipping method of choice for me and most of my cichlidophiles. We are talking about getting a package from San Francisco to New Jersey the SAME day.

Cost was cheaper too. I could get a 50lb box across the country in the same day for about 65 bucks.

Is there a reason why dealers do not use this method in this branch of the aquarium hobby? The only real downside is having to travel to an airport, and of course this is dependent on where you live in relation to said airport.

chill86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got lied to 5 times today with fedex, after not hearing from them 3 hours after my delivery should have been at my door I decided to call them. I called 3 times and they all said that the package is on the truck and will be at your door by 8pm (with a 100%) garuntee. The fourth time I called back they said that the driver had too many deliveries and they would get it to me the next dayor I could drive over a hour to the main hub and wait for the driver to get there at 8pm. So I really wanted my overpriced coral and I decided to make the trip. When I get there they ask me for my tracking # and then they tell my that my driver is running 10 minutes behind so I waited. 830pm rolls around and the doors have been locked for 30 mins and my driver is 20 minutes late and then they tell me that a diiferent driver had my package and she left it on her truck and they would have to call another driver to go get the package "which is only 5 min away from my home" and bring it to me at the main hub "1 hour away from home" and that's if the other driver could get into her truck. So I waited and waited and then he said he found the package but it would be another hour before he got it to me. So I am waiting in a dark locked room with a creepy janitor for 2 1/2 hours and I finally get the package after 6 or 7 straight up lies. To top it off the driver has the nerve to complain and say"man you have no idea what I had to go through to get this" and my eyeballs finally popped out of my head and thought I was seriously about to commit a very serious crime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fedex blows great big !

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used usps at least 20 times and a good 12 times or more I was refunded the shipping cost due to them not delivering by the guaranteed time. Only 1 time was it doa, so not too bad I guess. Ups messes up every single time I order something so I drive 25 miles to the hub to pick it up now. FedEx normally gets here when they say it will or within the hour. I prefer just to go to the hub and pic up the box rather than it riding in a hot or cold truck all day and getting used as a basketball during the delivery drivers lunch break. I kid you not I have had packages delivered that looked like they were kicked around in a parking lot.

Oh and don't get me started about the one time federal officers intercepted one of my packages in San Diego, called and interrogated the person I was shipping it to and had to perform an open box inspection.......

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back