What do you do with 150-200 Fungias?

NiXoN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So longtime reefer first time writer on R2R ;)

I´ve got a slightly different kind of problem, one of my fungias decided to multiply by receding into the disc and then popping out new offspring.
The thing is that there are quite a few of them and I really don't know what to do as the coral market is not that big in Sweden.
I have removed over 40 individuals from the disc in order to allow the smaller ones to grow as well(don't really know why I thought that would be necessary).

So any creative suggestions would be nice, I have a 120x70x25cm fraggtank that is almost empty so I have some time before they outgrow their tank.
DSC_0689 (800x531).jpg
DSC_0695 (800x630).jpg

I myself find the problem quite hilarious and that is perhaps the main reason for sharing the pictures ;)

fungia_fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seriously considering an indoor saltwater pond for mine. Acanthocauli are one of the coolest things about Fungia. I love 'em.

OP
OP
NiXoN

NiXoN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fungias are quite original when it comes to behaviour, their ability to flip themselves over and move when needed is pretty original for LPS.
I have some space for them to grow out but a pond would be nice...

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.Great pictures and thanks for posting!I had no idea fungia could multiply like that!We have a global forum here,unfortunately I don't see Sweden in there.I could ask the Admin to start a forum for your area,maybe then you could find a few locals to take some of those of your hands.
Global Local Reef Club Discussion

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a fungia that does not stop regenerating off this one stick. when it gets to be 1" i snap it off in 3 weeks or so a new one forms got around 10+ of them already from them just forming after i break off the offspring. its Green Blue, nothing too crazy. but awesome.

OP
OP
NiXoN

NiXoN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a bit new to me that they could generate so many offspring from the disc, I was expecting less than ten individuals.
But now that I have removed some 40 of them the remaining ones have spread out over the open spots so the disc looks pretty much the same as in the first picture.

The tissue on the base part has started to recede and the transformation into a more fungia form has started for several of the fraggs.
So I am looking at a whole lot of "fungiasticks" once they grow a bit and drop of the base. ;)

We do have a active online reefing community in Sweden but it is not a big market so I guess I can sell about 20-30...
I haven´t got a picture of the mother colony thou I had it for several years, purple rim green tentacles and at times a bit orange towards the middle.

OP
OP
NiXoN

NiXoN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0706 (640x425).jpg

A small update on the Fungias, they have started to colour up nicely and some have grown significantly bigger since I started to feed them.

Bassett22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have the ability to sell, then leave them on the skeleton and let them grow, you will have one very original coral colony.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol you should spread the wealth :p

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if they would survive a trip over to the states. Im sure theres a handful of us that would be interested in buying. Send to one US address and they get distributed from there?

OP
OP
NiXoN

NiXoN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if I left them on the colony most would die of and a few would overgrow the rest and then drop off, seems a shame to do that.
Shipping is probably not a problem but there are legal issues...
When it comes to wealth it seems that this colour form has been selling from 60-90 euros, I could do some short term damage to the local market price ;)

I´ll see how things develop and if I cant get a better "group picture" in the next update...

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. I always found that interesting & it's basically a gold mine. Did it recede to a a full skeleton? How long after did it start producing babies? Any pictures of the original? It'd be neat to document the whole process.

OP
OP
NiXoN

NiXoN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mother receded into the skeleton, no apparent damage prior other fungias in the tank were behaving normal.
I don't have any pictures left of the mother prior to the event.
First signs of life came 1-2 weeks after recession, I was hoping for something like this so that I could get a couple of fungias.
Not really sure but I think I have had the main colony since 08-09...

Vermont05452

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar thing happen to me with a green one. It turned out to be like 50 after a half die off she it it got covered with sand.

holly

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would pick up on this thread because I'd like some advice about how to get these guys to break off and develop into their own plates. Rob&Gab and NiXon above, you said that you "removed" or "snapped off" the babies. Can you tell me how you did that? Here is a picture of my fungia:
ad4f41911fb61a548e5cc32079129607.jpg

OP
OP
NiXoN

NiXoN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion would be to separate some of them from the plate but keep them on as long as you can, just because they will be simpler to feed.
For separation I used a dremmel or a scalpel with a smal hammer to tap of the base, what you are left with is something reminding of a mushroom.
Later on the plate will separate from the base by itself and a new fungia might start to grow in its place.

If you just lay them on the bottom of a tank the disc will grow accordingly so I use a low plastic container with some corase gravel so they can stand upright.
Hope this was somewhat helpful...

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those have really nice color. I would get a hold of several retailers or a wholesaler and sell them, someone would surely bite on "captive raised" plate coral ;)

Ginu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats awesome. I didnt know they can regenerate like that... Its a shame the mother colony is not doing well :(

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back