frag tank help

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 2 weeks ago I setup a 10G frag tank - currently have a small hang on filter - 92gph power head - ebay 165 watt led (about 25% - 8 inches above water) and 150 watt heater. I started with water from my display tank and have changed 5 gallons twice using display water. I am experiencing a high rate of loss after a few days about 50%-60% (maybe more) of the frags I made.

any suggestions?

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think maybe just a bit lacking in light and definitely lacking in flow. What are the water perams of the Display (water source) ???

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
bkhunt

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salinity .025
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate <5
calcium 420
dKh 9
all corals fragged are healthy and full color (not faded or bleached) and mother colonies are healthy after return to display.

thought using display water for water changes would be easier on frags.

the frags are cut with side cutters or just snapped off mother colony. I am using commercial frag plugs and super glue to attach. I have made 4-6 frags at a time as not to over load with new frags.

I will bump the lights up to 50%ish percent and see how I goes

Last edited:

quatro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man 10g frag tanks are tough...temp and salinity swings can make yer life miserable. Is there any way to plumb that into the main display?

OP
OP
bkhunt

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently working on getting a glass hole saw and bulkheads. I hope that will solve my problems.

quatro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will make a massive difference. Also make sure yer not over blasting your corals with flow or light. It's easy to do in a small tank

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 gal frag tank next to my sump.. I started it will 2 gallons of DT water, but also added freshly made saltwater to the tank... I have been doing a 10% water change once a week.
I use a canister filter with a small piece of live rock I removed from my DT that fit into it.. I am only using a filter like a cheese cloth in my canister.

I'm guessing if the reading are normal in the small tank like they are in the larger one, then it would have to deal with the light or salinity swings from day to day.

What types of coral did you frag and have in the tank?

OP
OP
bkhunt

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost frags of green bottlebrush, green stag horn, purple acro, tri color. Doing goofs is Xenia, and purple Digitata.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man 10g frag tanks are tough...temp and salinity swings can make yer life miserable. Is there any way to plumb that into the main display?
I agree,it could be temperate ,salinity,phosphate or pH swings.Are you accilmating the corals to the new environment? You could give the frags a few weeks of healing time in your main display before setting them in the frag tank.This should increase survival rates.Also keep in mind that SPS usually fare better in mature aquariums.

Back