Ecotech Propagation Kit - Is it Worth it.... Heres my findings so far...

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

As part of the PTT I have been given the Ecotech Propagation kit as a test subject.... Yeah I know Lucky Me...
smile2.gif

So as a complete Fragging Novice I have taken some pictures of the kit and already got to grips with the kit...

_SAM0123.jpg
_SAM0124.jpg
_SAM0125.jpg
_SAM0126.jpg

It arrives in a Bamboo Box, with quality Metal Hinges and snap shut Magnets in the lid to keep it together... Everything is made to a very high quality, All of the tools feel solid in your hand nothing feels like its going to fall apart if that makes sense... I would have like a Scalpel (Well a regular Fragger said I did...) The Glue is Great but will get onto that in a minute...

Zoa Sorry.....

So I decided I needed to put the kit to some use... (On my own) I had already sorted out some tester Zoas... but rearranged the tank and could only get my hands on a small Rasta cluster... Well lets just say it didn't go well... I cut them too high of the base and killed them.... I guess thats where the scalpel would come in... (in fact that was confirmed... for scrapping or helping to peel them off at the base...)

The kit worked perfectly... Cleaned up well.... I left the Tweezers wet on purpose didn't bother cleaning them off properly for a few days and they cleaned up lovely...

Will report back on my next fragging attempt... Wish Me Luck...

Please add your comments and thoughts and Fragging tips below? My Zoas will be Grateful.....

OP
OP
sn2per

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you mean the Frag Plugs they were wrapped in plastic... :) A few more observations several people have already mentioned that their is No Scalpel in the kit or PPE (rubber gloves etc) I have also suggested that a two tier tray type box could be an improvement to allow for storage of extra tools and gloves etc... The glue is no longer in the box as it really needs to be stood up after its opened or like most glues it glues itself shut... :)

Could also do with know what the actual quality of the tools is as well.. What grade of material has been used..

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won one of these kits in a raffle and I must say its quality all the way. The scissors and bone cutters operate smoothly and produce clean cuts. When you consider that the cheapo propagation kits sell for 50-60% of what the ecotech kit does, to me the difference in quality is well worth the added price.
+1 on wheres the scalpel? I'm surprised they missed that seeing as the entire kit was so wl thought out and designed. I use the space where the plugs are to keep my scalpel.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won one of these kits in a raffle and I must say its quality all the way. The scissors and bone cutters operate smoothly and produce clean cuts. I like that bone cutters have etched handles which helps for a better grip with wet hands. When you consider that the cheapo propagation kits sell for 50-60% of what the ecotech kit does, to me the difference in quality is well worth the added price.
+1 on wheres the scalpel? I'm surprised they missed that seeing as the entire kit was so wl thought out and designed. I use the space where the plugs are to keep my scalpel.

Hey sn2pr how can I get a spot on the ETT?

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing this sn2per ! I like the look of the case.I have used bamboo cutting boards at home and I like how the material dries fast.It also holds up well to repeated cleanings.The frag plugs included in the kit are ones I would like to try someday.Unfortunately only a few online venders carry them
and they run at almost a dollar a piece.Let us know how you like them.As for fragging zoas I prefer not to scrap them off unless absolutely necessary. When they are growing on the rack,for example.I would use the bone cutters to break off groups of polyps growing on plugs or smaller rocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sn2per

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kireek yes the missing scalpel does seem to be an issue.... I think it's where I went wrong trying to frag my zoas... Live and Learn.... A local reefer has a scalpel for me so it will sit in the frag plug section out of the way of little non reefers... Haha

Back