Is it necessary to use coral dip?

aquariumrescueunit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, I'm no newbie to reef keeping anymore, but I am a newbie to fragging my own corals. Is it necessary to use an iodine dip or coral dip of some sort when fragging a coral? I know it's kill pests and diseases but if I am fragging something that's been in my tank for a while and I know there are no pest or diseases is this necessary? If so what kind should I use and also what type of glue works best? Thanks y'all -aquariumrescueunit

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally never have and have never felt I needed too. Normally in a week or two the cuts are healed or very close to it.

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like thickened black super glue. It doesn't last but looks better than normal super glue.

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fragging is mostly acropora, and occasionally euphylia. I never use iodine dip, but it might be a good thing to stave off potential infection at the site of the cut. I use gel super glue for mounting acros to ceramic plugs, and also for mounting hammers, and frogspawn to larger tile plugs. I find that applying the gel to the plug, and waiting 30 minutes before gluing acro frag to the plug allows the glue to stiffen to consistency where the coral will stay in position better. I immediately place the frag under tank water after sticking it in the glue so the coral is not damaged, and so the glue sets faster. Leave the coral fragments under water until time to adhere to plug. Just touch end of coral to be glued to a dry cloth to dry before gluing.

OP
OP
aquariumrescueunit

aquariumrescueunit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I think I may start trying my first frags soon. Any idea where I could get a scalpel other than the internet (like walmart or something) ?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there something about zoas that's different that needs the dip like the toxins in them?

In my experience the iodine dip is more to clean the cut in the flesh of the zoas to prevent bacteria and infection to the cut.

moulton712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a must. Help the coral heal better by cleaning. We want these corals to thrive, or your in the hobby for the wrong reasons. This is why "we" are getting flack from non aquarist. Yes we are trying to propagate, but we don't gointo surgery ourselves without cleaning via antibacterial soaps and iodine. When ever you open the flesh of a coral there can be germs and bacteria at the site that will get introduced. Better care is needed to help our hobby thrive. You clean your tanks, you clean your rocks, you do water changes, why not clean your corals? Simple I think. Dip is less than 10 bucks.

OP
OP
aquariumrescueunit

aquariumrescueunit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut my first 3 frags today out of my green button polyps, got a blade at michaels and super glue gel, and it's been about 10 hours since I cut the frags and they are already open! So is the mother coral I fragged off of
Here's a shot
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1424654032.946909.jpg

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the slime out of your eyes, ears, nose, open cuts because it is very toxic stuff! And they can squirt you in the eye sometimes, too.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no dip in the ocean and coral are constantly being fragged there. Our tanks certainly don't compare to the ocean but if your tank is healthy and you are propagating aquacultured livestock there is no need for an extra dip. It's possibly just another added stressor IMO. Dips for pest removal are a must though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back