Fragging a Pectinia

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been on the MARSH forum (out of Houston) for a while.

I know someone who is will in to frag his pectinia for me but the pieces he can frag do not have an eye.
If the frag does not have an eye could it stay alive and grow an eye?

Thanks for any help

fungia_fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my space invaders pectinia from just one of the outgrowths with no eye. I've since fragged it the same way for someone else. I had no problems at all.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it certainly would be preferable for a mouth (eye) to be on your frag I should expect the frag to survive. While I haven't fragged a pectina with out an eye my conclusion is based on experience with other, similar corals.
I would defiantly encourage using a diamond tipped cutting tool and not "plier" style cutters. Having a clean cut will speed healing time and reduced the chance of infection.

Last edited:

fungia_fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just clipped an outgrowth with SPS-style bone cutters. I prefer it to the dremel whenever possible.

OP
OP
malira

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is encouraging. Just what I wanted to hear.

thanks guys

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs claims that when cutting, Dodge hitting the mouth and they live. Their issue was hit the mouth and the whole thing dies.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it certainly would be preferable for a mouth (eye) to be on your frag I should expect the frag to survive. While I haven't fragged a pectina with out an eye my conclusion is based on experience with other, similar corals.
I would defiantly encourage using a diamond tipped cutting tool and not "plier" style cutters. Having a clean cut will speed healing time and reduced the chance of infection.
Sound advice. The eye less pectina should recover as I have seen them cut very small. They have a porous,ridged skeleton and I would prefer a coral saw for cutting.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been on the MARSH forum (out of Houston) for a while.

I know someone who is will in to frag his pectinia for me but the pieces he can frag do not have an eye.
If the frag does not have an eye could it stay alive and grow an eye?

Thanks for any help
It has been a few weeks how is the piece healing up?

OP
OP
malira

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not well. The pieces died. They tried to hang on but got to stressed. The guy who tried said it stressed him out. He won't do it again. I'm thankful he even tried.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back