Need help from experienced propagators, starting a large zoanthid / mushroom farm.

allyourfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My long time buddy and me are major reefaholics. We noticed a gap in our area through our Facebook reef groups. No one has cool Zoanthids / Paly's / Shrooms / Ricordea's. We would be dead set on purchasing or creating mother colony rocks of various species and use those mother colonies as pallets to create sick combinations of various corals. I consider myself an experienced reefer, I can blame this hobby to my pursuit in going to school for Marine Biology. I have experience in keeping SPS reefs, I have experience in ZEOvit and fully automated tanks, but I have a lot to learn about propagation and fragging. So my best friend and I want to provide our local area with uncommon propagated corals. We are not looking for steady income or creating a business and dealing with wholesalers. We plan just to do this for fun, some extra cash, and the thrill of just bringing sick corals to the community. He owns a car repair shop and we found the perfect room for this system in there, with a big tub sink with table for our frag station. We plan on building a 10 foot coral table and sealing it with epoxy, roughly 10 feet by 3 by 8 inches deep. We plan on refinishing a 200G tank for our sump where we will be setting up a basic system, using liverock and a ton of macro-algae. The tank will be lit with x2 4’ shop t5 fixtures with polished reflectors running ATI-Geissman bulbs and supplemental LED’s will be from a couple of d120’s. The system will have basic redundancy via herbie overflow, ranco controller for heaters, check valves on return, battery backups on wavemakers. Putting eductors on returns. I am here to seek advice on this, I wanted to stick with these simple corals, but do not plan on expanding this into SPS any time soon. We have the capital and the knowledge to keep display tanks, but we want to see results, growth, coloration. We want to do this so we can say we did it and was successful at it. Please do not be afraid to be harsh. :bigsmile:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're making it more difficult than it has to be for polyps and mushrooms. A deep sand bed, good live rock, lots of light and plenty of food is all you need.

OP
OP
A

allyourfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response we recently picked up a rubbermaid 150g stock tank and will be filling it with liverock, were ending up making the tank 12 feet x 3 x 10 inches deep, What would you prefer for lighting, 4' - 4bulb T5 fixture or 4' - 6bulb T5s?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back