How to ship live coral. Easy. Fairly Concise... with Links!

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are thinking about shipping...

maybe I can help

I always try and get people to ship FedEx to a FedEx Office address. They might not accept any packages from other carriers. FedEx is not the only carrier you can use. UPS is a good carrier but many have had issues using USPS. Shipping to a FedEx Office location is the safest way to recieve live packages as I have had many issues with the delivery guys on my route. They have left packages out in the cold as well as other issues. When having packages delivered to your home, they generally are tossed around more on the truck. The truck might also get cold or hot reducing the survivability of your coral.

FedEx Priority Overnite is an overnite delivery arriving before 10:30am. Its usually quite pricey, like $60-70. Most people and companies take losses on shipping. There are some good threads you can search for to minimize this shipping expense, like setting up an account with fedex etc. Shipping that arrives later than overnite 10:30am is more of a risk for you because the coral has a lower survivability. Its a shame to loose such a beauty piece to save on shipping and if it dies its usually understood that the seller will be responsible and have to ship another frag for free or refund the money.

Longer cheaper shipping is especially risky in the winter and summer. In the winter you might need a heat pack. Use the 40+ hour ones nothing less, just in case it gets delayed. Also, this is important... make sure the heat pack is warm before you close the box. I have had a few die in the last few months due to shippers not checking. In the summer it might be necessary to add a cool pack. There are many ways to accomplish this some as simple as a triple bagged bag of frozen water. Other cool packs are available. Optimally a shipper checks the weather in the destination city and then makes an educated decision.

Make sure you bag up properly (3 or 4 layers) so the bags don't leak. Some use metal clasps, heat seals, rubber bands, or simply tying the bags tight. Ime most leaks occur in rubber banded bags. Use plenty of packing to make sure the bagged coral does not toss around or even move at all. Put a few layers of newspaper between the bag and the heat pack to make sure it doesn't get too hot or cold. Use an insulated styrofoam shipping box.

This is important, do not tell fedex that its a live package or coral, lie to them or they will not accept it. Try and use a box that says perishable on the side and this side up arrows.

Keep in good communication with whoever is recieving the coral. Don't ship without an ok on the address, time, date, and carrier from the reciever. Include the recievers phone number with the address on the package. Ask for constructive criticism about your shipping methods after your package has been recieved. Start off with a few cheap corals as a gift for a friend :) Give your frags plenty of time to heal after fragging. Be cautious when shipping stressed corals. Sometimes stuff dies in shipping. It happens! All that you can do is try and make it right with the reciever and learn from it!

Buy shipping stuff on the low low here:
ULINE - Cardboard Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Plastic Bags

learn about shipping on the low low here
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f20/5-ways-ship-corals-effectively-efficiently-37251.html

I hope I covered everything. If not feel free to add input or corrections/constructive criticisms.

Good luck,
Kris

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread Kris. What ur opinion on my shipping methods?

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks a lot Chris! I was typing this up to help a fellow reefer and it ended up being quite lengthy so I thought I would share it. I am no expert shipper or anything but I have recieved quite a few live packages from members of the community. I have seen everything from the layman to the expert shipper.

Your an expert shipper for sure. I remember you triple or quadruple bagged your frags very tightly. I couldn't even count the bags they were so tight, I just cut them all. I actually remember thinking how did he do that, lol. Very clean looking with absolutely no leaks! Your packaging in the box was also very tight. The bags couldn't move a bit. Good spacing between the heat pack and the bags with proper amount of layers in between. Frags as happy as could be considering they were in a box overnight :)

I forget did you use a styrofoam box or did you make your own box out of pieces of cut up styro panel? I see both regularly.

SPStoner

Cavs Fan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few added thoughts.

I thinkt he live stock shipping varies by Fedex location. It must, as Foster and Smioth ship out hundreds each week via Fedex with the boxes clearly marked Live Tropical Fish. That being said, I agree with kris, better safe than sorry.

When shipping in the winter, remember two things about the heat packs. One, they will not work if they get wet. I always take whatever frags or fish i am shipping, after they are triple or quad bagged individually, and put all of them in a larger sealed bag as a safety precaution.
Also, remember these heat packs need oxygen to stay warm. if you completely seal the styrofoam box with tape, and the outer carton, then the heat pack will be limited to the O2 that is trapped in the styro only. i always try to leave one side untaped, or poke a small hole in the styro lid, to allow some air to enter.
lastly, remember to use a heat pack rated for a little longer than the expected time in the box. if you pack the corals at noon, and they wont be delivered until 10:30 the next day, a 12 hour heat pack will not be enough. I always try to shoot for about an 8 hour cushion, so if I expect 12 hours in transit, I look for a 20 or 24 hour heat pack. Also, try to use enough heat packs for the size box you are shipping. I have my own formula, where I will use 1 - 24 or 48 hour pack for each cubic foot of space in the box I am using. This is just a general guideline of course, but has served me well shipping out of Cleveland, OH which can be fairly cold.

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the additions. There is definitely much clarification needed and I appreciate those who help :)

If you plan on telling FedEx that you are shipping Live Tropical Fish or Coral they will not allow you to do this unless you have a completed form along with the package. I have been told by FedEx that this form is only available through their corporate office. You cannot fill it out in person. I was also told you could be fined for not including this form with any live package. I have not seen other hobbiests include this form but i'm sure the larger live shipping companies do include it. You might not see it on the side of the box because these shippers might have it attached electronically to their business account at FedEx. After me and my live package were turned down, I asked other members of the community (who own online coral businesses) and was told to say nothing. Better to not lie and just be vague I guess. I gave this advice because I think its what the average hobbiest shipper does and its the easiest.

Another note on the heat pack issue. Follow the directions on the package. They are there for a reason. I agree with SPStoner. Don't let them get wet. Thats another reason why bagging properly is so important! Also good point about wrapping up all the bags in another bag.

Feel free to add comments or your experiences good or bad.

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Can only add that some times due to company mishap or bad weather your shipment is been delayed never give up on getting your box that same day...Call FedEx Many times, figure out where is receiving facility for your area, you can always pick up a package from a 24 hour warehouse where most of the delayed shipments wait for next morning all day if it misses original tight hour...

fenderguy1

Prop/Shipping Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info except the fedex part... You do not have to lie to fedex about the contents. I have shipped many packages at both fedex kinkos (now fedex office) and from the express terminal directly. One kinkos lady even called hazmat to find out if they are allowed to ship corals. I have also never heard of this form you were told about?? Grisha's info above is great! If you ever dont get a package by the due time DONT PANIC! Call and find out where your package is. 9 times out of 10 if the package was misloaded/damaged it can be picked up at the local station same day. Also depending on your location, you may not be able to get the "priorty shipping" by 10:30am. Its worth it to call and find out before hand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good info all! Keep it coming :xd:

Great info except the fedex part... You do not have to lie to fedex about the contents. I have shipped many packages at both fedex kinkos (now fedex office) and from the express terminal directly. One kinkos lady even called hazmat to find out if they are allowed to ship corals. I have also never heard of this form you were told about?? Grisha's info above is great! If you ever dont get a package by the due time DONT PANIC! Call and find out where your package is. 9 times out of 10 if the package was misloaded/damaged it can be picked up at the local station same day. Also depending on your location, you may not be able to get the "priorty shipping" by 10:30am. Its worth it to call and find out before hand.

I was told by my FedEx hub in Madison, WI that they couldn't ship anything live without a form from Headquarters. They couldn't supply the form there and so I was not able to ship. Marine was one catagory on the form and the FedEx workers were not helpful and very strict. There may be different regulations in different states. I'm not sure if this is a company wide rule. Certain offices may not know about it or have been trained properly. I do not know why you had a different experience than me... all I can do is warn others so they can plan ahead just in case.
:wink:

Some alternatives to plastic bags that can be reused again and again

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f20/urine-containers-work-great-shipping-40639.html#post442669

fenderguy1

Prop/Shipping Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont doubt what you said. I had the same lady who called hazmat a few months ago tell me last week i could not ship corals. When i told her she called last time and showed her my fedex I.D it was no problem.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never use UPS. They will not run a trace for you until the following day. Their tracking system is poor. I've had a few boxes that got left at their "hub" overnight and lost many corals through them. When you "hold for pickup", they don't bring the boxes to the front first thing, you have to wait until they are "ready". In fact, it has gotten so bad, I don't think I'll do business with a vendor who doesn't use FedEX anymore.

FedEx Expert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FedEx Shipping

I work for FedEx and therefore am the expert on shipping live tropical fish:

Step 1: Set up a FedEx Account by calling 1-800-Go-FedEx
Step 2: You will most likely need to attach a credit card on file unless you pass the Experian credit check.
Step 3: Once you gain your 9 digit account number call 1-800-Go-FedEx back and ask the customer service rep to "please send a message to your aligned FedEx Account Executive as you need to go through the process of becoming an approved Live Fish shipper".
Step 4: A FedEx Account Executive will contact you and help you with the steps as they have all of the pertinent information involved and will need to fax and email this paperwork to the appropriate departments.

Steps Involved:
To become an approved shipper of live fish, these actions must take place:
1) You must have a FedEx Account Number
2) You must receive package approval from the FedEx Packaging Lab (free for testing)
3) You must sign a Waiver of Liability from FedEx Legal

After all of this is completed, your account will be added by the FedEx Live Animal Control Desk to the approved list.

Yes, whoever said you can be fined is 100% correct. You can be fined and most likely will be fined. Not to mention the packaging could leak, burst, destroy other packages and cause an unneccessary amount of clean up with in the station/hubs/trucks.

mlove

Reefing Peasant
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just curious... Could someone tell a noob like me EXACTLY what you'd need to start shipping stuff? Bag sizes, types, etc.? Box sizes? What kind of insulation you use? Just a thought. Thanks guys!

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just curious... Could someone tell a noob like me EXACTLY what you'd need to start shipping stuff? Bag sizes, types, etc.? Box sizes? What kind of insulation you use? Just a thought. Thanks guys!

I got you :)

Its all based on the size of the coral/frag. If your only shipping one tiny frag you can do it in a small bag (3" round x 8"). You need more than one bag to ship one frag, it needs to be triple bagged. Plus another large bag that lines your styrofoam box which sits in a regular cardboard shipping box. You need peanuts or newspaper or some material to keep the triple baged frag stable and insulated further (from heat or cool packs). You need to buy the heat or cool pack. As far as how much heat or cooling, its all relative to the temperatures of the trip. Sometimes its not needed. Tape for the box and styro cooler. The size of the box and styro cooler is relative to the size of bags and number of them. Try and use as small of a box as possible but there needs to be a lil extra space for packing material. One small frag could be shipped in a 10"x10"x10" box with no problems.

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should i say to the employee when he asks me whats in the box? If i say coral, they might turn me down. right?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back