A Reef 2 Reef Spotlight "Tridacna Crocea".

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genus = Tridacna
Species = Crocea
Common name= Crocea clam

IMG_1236.jpg

Size and growth rate
T. Crocea is the smallest of the giant clams. This species can grow to a maximum size of about 6". These clams have been reported to grow as little as 1cm and as much as 2cm per year.

Location and geographic range
Crocea clams are often found in shallow clear water usually less than 7 meters, and even as deep as 15 meters. Crocea's can be found sitting high and dry at low tides. Also known as the rock boring clam they are mainly found buried in rock or coral heads. In doing this the wild Crocea usually breaks off all of the scutes from it's shell. They range from the West coast of the Malaysian Peninsula and Australia east to the Marianas, Solomon Islands, Viet Nam, and Fiji.

Attachment to substrate
T. Crocea uses their a byssal organ that secretes the sticky threads that will attach it to the substrate. This helps keep the clam from being swept away.

Lighting and flow requirements
Crocea's are the most light demanding of all the giant clams. I recommend metal halide or T5 with individual reflectors. Giant clams are found on reefs that usually have SPS corals, flow should be moderate to high. Just be sure that the mantle isn't being held over un naturally because of too much flow.

Coloration
The Crocea clams can be found in just about every color and combination under the sun.

Reef compatibility
Giant clams are found among the reefs of the world and are compatible with most reef safe animals. Although there are some reef safe fish that are not clam safe. These include: Angelfish, some Wrasses, Blennie's, Eels, and some shrimp.

Conclusion and comments.
Crocea's are common to the aquarium industry. They are being farmed by many clam farms throughout the world and are easily obtained. Some clam farms and importers are trying to sell the less popular colored Crocea's as a hybrid called Maxea's. There is no such documented thing as a hybrid clam so don't be fooled.

It is my personal opinion that if you intend to keep a Tridacna Crocea you should have an aquarium of 10 gallons or larger with very good lighting. They can be kept in smaller tanks but they rapidly outgrow them.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice spotlight!

Does the Tridacna Crocea prefer to be on the rock or sand?

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crocea's are also known as the rock boring clam. In the wild they can be found nestled into the rock work, they do so by dissolving the rock underneath them. I have Crocea's that are on the sand because no matter where I place them they always find their way to the sand so I just leave them there.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which clam should a beginner start out with?

It really depends on how big your aquarium is, the easiest clams to keep are the Derasa's and Squamosa's but they can get really big fairly quickly. If you have a smaller aquarium "less than 20 gallons" I would recommend starting with a Crocea.

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will cutting/damaging their byssal cords really damage or kill the clam? I've heard that these can't regrow and moving a corcea will most likely cause it to die if it has become attached.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will cutting/damaging their byssal cords really damage or kill the clam? I've heard that these can't regrow and moving a corcea will most likely cause it to die if it has become attached.

The byssal threads are just like our hair and fingernails, if you cut them with a sharp knife the clam won't feel a thing. If you rip them out or damage the byssal organ you will possibly cause an infection and kill the clam. I cut mine off the rocks all the time and have yet to have an issue with one.

NanoNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 High that's been up almost 9 months and I'm thinking of getting a clam and sticking it pretty high up in my rockwork.

I have a 4 bulb T5 aquaticlife hood with individual reflectors. Would this be a good one to start with?

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue teardrop maxima. He is on my sandbed under a 250w MH Phoenix, how fast do they usually grow? Also would I be better off with him on the rock work toward the top or the sand? Thanks!

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 High that's been up almost 9 months and I'm thinking of getting a clam and sticking it pretty high up in my rockwork.

I have a 4 bulb T5 aquaticlife hood with individual reflectors. Would this be a good one to start with?

As long as your paramaters are stable you should be fine with this setup.:wink:

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue teardrop maxima. He is on my sandbed under a 250w MH Phoenix, how fast do they usually grow? Also would I be better off with him on the rock work toward the top or the sand? Thanks!

Maxima's usually grow about a minimum of 3cm and maximum of about 5cm per year. As for your clam being on the sand or rocks it really depends on the clam itself and the depth of your tank. I have Maxima's that prefer to be on the sand and Maxima's that are fine up on the rocks. For the most part though they should be on the rocks. If you put it up there and it keeps jumping off then leave it on the sand and just watch for bleaching.

Care to start a thread in the clam forum and show off the blue teardrop? I have one too and they are quite rare.

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blue maxima that has a spotted pattern. I have been thinking about getting a yellow coris or canary wrasse and was wondering your oppinion on how likely it will be to nip at the clams mantle. Also how do you pronounce crocea?

Giancarlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey skinz, I've noticed my clams seem to get a little stressed with higher flows. Stressed meaning the clam looks like it is gaping from the inhalant I believe (the valve that is flush with the rest of the clam, not sure if that is correct). Is this common? Its about 35 inches away from the nearest powerhead, so it's
hard to believe its getting too much flow? Any ideas? Also when I turn the flow down (it's a vortech) the gaping stops immediately.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back