Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genus = Tridacna
Species = gigas
Common name= Gigas clam

DSCN0233.jpg

This big beauty belongs to Kevin of www.aquaticdreams.com and measures 22"

Size and growth rate
T. gigas is truly the Giant Clam of legend. This species can grow to over 4 feet in length and weigh up to 440 pounds. Gigas are the fastest growing of all the giant clams. These clams have been reported to grow as little as 4cm and as much as 12cm per year. To my knowledge the Waikiki Aquarium houses the largest Giga's in captivity, from my understanding I think it is about 34" long.

Location and geographic range
This gentle giant can be found in shallow lagoons and muddy grass flats, and even as deep as 15 meters. It is very common for these clams to be exposed to air during low tides due to their tendency to live in such shallow waters. Gigas range from Thailand, to western Australia, to Micronesia, and northward to the southern islands of Japan.

Attachment to substrate
As juveniles, T. gigas uses their a byssal organ that secretes the sticky threads that will attach it to the substrate. This helps keep the clam from being swept away. In time this organ atrophies, the byssal opening grows shut with shell, and the large size of the animal helps keeps it in place.

Lighting and flow requirements
Gigas are probably the least light demanding of all the giant clams, even though they still require high end light. They will probably be OK with VHO or compact fluorescent lights but I recommend metal halide or T5 with individual reflectors. Giant clams are found on reefs that usually have SPS corals, flow should be moderate to high. Just be sure that the mantle isn't being held over un naturally because of too much flow.

Coloration
The Gigas clams are most commonly brown, tan or green. I have seen pictures of Gigas clams that are blue, purple and even have black.

Reef compatibility
Giant clams are found among the reefs of the world and are compatible with most reef safe animals. Although there are some reef safe fish that are not clam safe. These include: Angelfish, some Wrasses, Blennie's, Eels, and some shrimp.

Conclusion and comments.
Gigas are fairly uncommon to the aquarium industry. They are being farmed but due to over fishing in their natural habitat the farms are sending most of the farmed Gigas back to reseed the oceans. There is a small percentage of them that do make to our LFS's so don't lose hope.

It is my personal opinion that if you intend to keep a Tridacna gigas you should have an aquarium of 100 gallons or larger. They can be kept in smaller tanks but they rapidly outgrow them.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey skinz, I've heard that no permits were being issued for collection of these. My LFS has one in their 750 gallon surge system and have had no luck finding another. They want to try captive breeding these, but of course it takes two to tango. Any ideas?

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I was in search of one not too long ago.Talked to everyone and no one was able to get their hands on one.I heard the same thing about them not being collectable.

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one a little bigger than that in my 600 :) its been in my hands for 6 years, was several years old when I got it. I too haven't been able to get my hands on a Gigas for a long time, seems like they were really plentiful years ago but you never see them now!

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard they were, but I've never seen them. I'm trying to help find a more mature specimen. The one in my LFS is between 2-2.5 feet. They've had it for ten years or so. I'd love to see these become more widely available from a captive source. Even if it does take a special tank to give a proper home.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure on them, what I do know is that when clams are farmed the farms have to supply X amount of the clams to reseed the reefs that have been depleted. I have heard quite a while ago that they were required to send all the farmed Giga's back to the reefs because of the numbers being down so low.

I have also been in contact with ORA in the last year and they told me it wasn't profitable for them to farm Giga's or Hippopus clams because the demand isn't there for them. Sure there would be a lot of sales right away but long term isn't so good.

I had one about 6 years ago and I sold it because it grew over 5" in a year and that scared me in my little tank at that time. I did turn a large profit off of it though:tongue:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back