Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genus = Hippopus
Species = Hippopus
Common name= Hippopus clam

DSCN2576.jpg

Size and growth rate
H. Hippopus can grow to a maximum size of about 19". These clams have been reported to grow as little as 4cm and as much as 7cm per year.

Location and geographic range
Hippopus clams are often found in shallow reef flats on sand in grass or on muddy surfaces. They can range in depth from the intertidal zone and usually less than 6 meters deep. They range from the Eastern Indian Ocean from Myanmar east across the Pacific to the Marshall Islands, Tonga, and Fiji.

Attachment to substrate
H. Hippopus uses their a byssal organ that secretes the sticky threads that will attach it to the substrate while in the juvenile stage. This helps keep the clam from being swept away. As the clam gets larger they rely on their size and weight to hold them in place.

Lighting and flow requirements
H. Hippopus are one of the most light demanding of all the giant clams. I recommend metal halide or T5 with individual reflectors. Giant clams are found on reefs that usually have SPS corals, flow should be moderate to high. Just be sure that the mantle isn't being held over un naturally because of too much flow.

Coloration
The Hippopus clams can be found in just a few colors. The vast majority are yellow, brown, or green with white, cream, or golden splotches and or thin stripes.

Reef compatibility
Giant clams are found among the reefs of the world and are compatible with most reef safe animals. Although there are some reef safe fish that are not clam safe. These include: Angelfish, some Wrasses, Blennie's, Eels, and some shrimp.

Conclusion and comments.
H. Hippopus are very uncommon to the aquarium industry. They are being farmed by many clam farms throughout the world and are being used to restock the worlds reefs from stress due to over fishing.

It is my personal opinion that if you intend to keep a Hippopus clam you should have an aquarium of 50 gallons or larger with very good lighting. They can be kept in smaller tanks but they rapidly outgrow them.

Billgax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bet they're yummy... :) Look at how ugly oysters are... and they're super tasty!

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow- thanks for the write-up, these were all over the place at MAX and I was curious about the, just had no idea what the heck they were. Glad I didn't snag one, as cool as they are I don't have the space for one anywhere

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the writeup. I've never seen one in person. Wish I had a tank large enough to try one out, but I think my 65 gallon is probably a bit too small!

CJ

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice write up Chris! It's a shame they aren't prettier. It'd be more of a novelty thing considering they are weird as we're all used to mantles on a clam!

1Snapple

3g Picotope
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a cool clam, I like it. No where to place it but you know how it goes =D.
Any ides as where to find if you were wanting to purchase one?

jestersix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have one I just added to my 150, pretty cool. Different and a nice addition to the collection, has a nice purple rim.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had space, I do think it would be cool to own something that massive. From what I understand when they reach their max size or close, weight is also a consideration as they can weigh in pretty hefty!

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want one just because it would complete my collection. Not a very pretty clam, but unique. Thank you for the info.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back