Reef Aquarium Fact #301 Buying a Blue Ringed Octopus could mean death to you or someone else.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #301

Buying a Blue Ringed Octopus could mean death to you or someone else.

Blue-ringed octopuses, such as H. maculosa and H. lunulata, display their blue rings as a warning when threatened. They are not aggressive and tend to avoid confrontation by flattening their body and blending into their surroundings. Humans have only been injured when a blue-ringed octopus is provoked or stepped on.

When the threat is unavoidable, blue-ringed octopuses eject a neuromuscular venom that contains maculotoxin and tetrodotoxin which cause paralysis. This poison is fatal and more potent than any poison found in land animals. Human victims can be saved if artificial respiration begins quickly; however there is no known antidote and the only treatment is ongoing heart massage and artificial respiration until the poison dissipates (usually in 24 hours with no ill-effects).

Symptoms include: nausea, vision loss and blindness, loss of senses, loss of motor skills, respiratory arrest.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

blue-ringed-octopus-venom_zps5f6b50a2.jpg

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the Blue-Ringed Octopus is one of the most deadly creatures on earth. My personal opinion is that keeping any octopus in an aquarium should be done by expert aquarists only. In the mid 90's I helped with an octopus at the Newport Aquarium in North Carolina. One thing I know is that are experts at escaping! I was a crabber and would catch octopi in my pots on occasion. I can tell you a lot of stories about how smart they are. Had one pretend that he was exhausted only to slip over the side of the boat when I turned my back for a second. Had another one escape from a cooler with a 90 pound box of crabs on top of it. Don't make the mistake and think you're smarter than an octopus.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to post a hilarious story about a blue ringed octopus that I saw on RC a while back but am guessing post the link isn't allowed as my post was immediately removed;) Wonder if it would be ok to copy and paste it here...

Last edited:

steamer51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it was a million to one chance that something would happen, I wouldn't take that chance of someone being killed or seriously injured because I kept something in my tank. Most dangerous thing in my tank is the bristle worms.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to post a hilarious story about a blue ringed octopus that I saw on RC a while back but am guessing post the link isn't allowed as my post was immediately removed;) Wonder if it would be ok to copy and paste it here...

I don't see that any of your posts have been removed.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering who will sell such a dangerous animal and why the heck would anyone want to buy it?? Maybe only in a hospital display tank where the ICU is next to it?

BeardedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have one, but asking the question why would anyone keep anything venomous is hard to answer, ask anyone that keeps poisonous snakes, or exotic deadly animals. People will keep what they want to keep, the smart ones will be safe and counciencous of the dangers, while the ignorant ones end up in the news paper.

To each his own, some might ask you why you keep hundreds of gallons of flood water in a tank in your living room???? you will give the same answer... because you want too.

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in 1980 I was working at a small fish store in San Diego, the owner had ordered a small octpous for his display tank....what arrived was a 3 inch long blue ring (dead sadly)....the only time I have ever seen one in person.

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering who will sell such a dangerous animal and why the heck would anyone want to buy it?? Maybe only in a hospital display tank where the ICU is next to it?
The same people who keep other venimous fish and inverts. Lionfish, rock fish, stone fish, certain cowries, and a sluegh of others.......

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not arguing with you there, its true that ppl can keep whatever they want as long as the law allows it. My point is that this animal has a venom that can kill and has no known antidote. Accidents can happen during water changes and I think its a bit risky for the owner. Most snake owners keep anti-venom around the house just in case.

shse666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mark. I keep several of the fish you mentioned. Respect, knowledge, and care go a long ways towards safety for both the owner and the animal.
I can refer you to a few people who have kept lion fish in a lair and others for over a decade without a sting.

Having said that, I do draw a line when it comes to the safety of my family. I will not own anything that can cause death in a few minutes with no known antidote. My wife and kids come first. They do not put thir hands in the tanks. That's my job. :)

--Howard

The same people who keep other venimous fish and inverts. Lionfish, rock fish, stone fish, certain cowries, and a sluegh of others.......

BeardedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not arguing with you there, its true that ppl can keep whatever they want as long as the law allows it. My point is that this animal has a venom that can kill and has no known antidote. Accidents can happen during water changes and I think its a bit risky for the owner. Most snake owners keep anti-venom around the house just in case.

I know two rattle snake owners, neither keeps anti-venom, neither does the local hospital, I know my wife is a nurse there. Anti-venom is not a common thing to have. Henceforth back to the knowing the responsibility they have owning these. Same with a firearm or as shse666 said, Respect, knowledge and care.

Rammy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys. I am new here but I can tell you that when I was like 12 or something, I went snorkeling in Cebu, and while enjoying the shallow reefs, I noticed something moving among the rocks, so I dove down and saw it was a small octopus and it flashed blue rings while swimming away. It was really pretty. Curious, I grabbed it barehanded and even brought it home. I haven't started reefing those times so yeah the octopus died a day later and I moved on with my life. The next day, I watched NatGeo or Discovery Ch, can't remember. It was the countdown show about the world's most deadly animals and I realized what I was playing with was a blue ring octopus, and if it had decided to bite me, I would have been dead. I guess I was just lucky. God, I played with it the whole time it was with me. Jesus!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it could mean death, who is stupid enough to put their fingers in a blue ringed octopuses mouth? Lol. You'd probably be more likely to die from salmonella but that doesn't stop people eating chicken.
If you treat the octo with the respect it deserves and make sensible decisions with carefully planned ideas, you could keep one without problems. People are keeping plenty of animals that are venomous and/or poisonous. Palytoxin is (if memory serves me right) far more potent than tetrodotoxin but people keep Zs and Ps, they cut them up, they glue them to rocks every day, but even talk of blue ringed octopuses has people scared. It makes no sense to me.
I catch them every so often in local rock pools and lakes. I keep them in a 5 gallon bucket with a rock or two and some seaweed and watch them. I've fed a few too. When they start flashing the blue rings, it's time to make the smart decision and let them go.

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even like touching the picture to scroll down the page...

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mark. I keep several of the fish you mentioned. Respect, knowledge, and care go a long ways towards safety for both the owner and the animal.
I can refer you to a few people who have kept lion fish in a lair and others for over a decade without a sting.

Having said that, I do draw a line when it comes to the safety of my family. I will not own anything that can cause death in a few minutes with no known antidote. My wife and kids come first. They do not put thir hands in the tanks. That's my job. :)

--Howard

This is very true. I also own quite a few venomous fish, everyone knows to keep their hands out.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back