Reef Aquarium Fact #304 STABILITY is the key to success with any reef tank! Keeping stable temperatu

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #304

STABILITY is the key to success with any reef tank! Keeping stable temperature, salinity, and water parameters is very important.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

fts_5_zps1829b788.jpg

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fts_5_zps1829b788.jpg

^That's one of my inspiration tanks. Probably my favorite photo of a reef tank of all time.

trble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newbie in Pocatello Idaho and I'm so hooked on this new exciting life of saltwater tanks. Thanks to my P-Town friends for helping me out!
IMG_0658.jpg

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried running my tank on love alone... however it seems things like maintaining water chemistry, sufficient lighting etc are required. I even tried supplementing my love with love for hire but to no avail.

Last edited:

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree totaly with all said. People tend to get hung up on all the cool products offered to them to make there reef flourish. Keep things simple and stable and you will not need to add a bunch of stuff to your tank to be sucessful. I have seen some great reef tanks that don't even use skimming and are awesome. Keep your tank as natural as you can without adding all these quick fix additives.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
^That's one of my inspiration tanks. Probably my favorite photo of a reef tank of all time.

Yea I like it too, anyone know where this tank is on R2R, It was like reef spotlight or something like that a year or so ago, maybe even longer.. I want to see the dimentions of that tank...

What are the orange and white fish?

Anthias..

edit found it:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-spotlight/58307-reef-spotlight-april-2011-2sunny.html

Last edited:

prime8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with stability being key in keeping a reef tank. I've tried the numbers chasing game, and have had nothing but trouble with trying to daily up keeping, numbers fluctuating, additives, so many choices out on the market.
I believe that was today's corals that are aquacultured, they have adjusted to living in oure reef tanks conditions better than ever before.
I found that importance and stability in a reef tank is key rather than trying to chase some numbers to imitate ocean conditions.
20140816_041515-1.jpg

I've kept a reef tank now for over 2 years mainly SPS and hard corals. my most success comes from keeping everything stable no matter what the alkalinity and salinity maybe, some people keep their tanks at 8.4 some people keep their tanks at 11 dKH, some people keep their salinity at 35 ppt some people keep their is lower. but as long as you keep your parameters stable of your corals should thrive and grow.
2014-08-20 03.29.17.jpg

I've just recently added more automation to my tank to keep it more stable, calcium and alkalinity. the seems to be more important to hard corals health than any other parameter, other than trace elements and nutrient levels.
I've only lost a few mini colonies and corals but that's usually because they were dying anyways. but for the most part my 20 gallon aquarium with over 100 frags is growing and doing great
2014-08-21 14.22.07.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back