Would like your views on coral lighting needs.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's measured in PAR (photosynthetically available radiation). Ideally you would have or borrow a PAR meter to measure the different levels throughout your tank and place corals accordingly.

Or you can do what most of us do and put the SPS up high and the LPS/softies lower. While this rule is by no means all inclusive, it does give a coral a good shot at being close to where they need to be IMO.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

808jaymakoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or get a seneye monitoring system for $170 and you'll know what depth in your tank has what par rating. And then place your corals where they get the best lighting. I'm getting my seneye on Tuesday and can't wait.

b_rad_G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have LPs extending out right now under 4-80 watt t5. I don't believe that is a proper guide because these frags have more than doubled in size the last 4 months. Buying a par meter is aso bad advice. This isn't rocket science. Use a good lighting system and you won't have to worry about it.

Fishman793

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have LPs extending out right now under 4-80 watt t5. I don't believe that is a proper guide because these frags have more than doubled in size the last 4 months. Buying a par meter is aso bad advice. This isn't rocket science. Use a good lighting system and you won't have to worry about it.
Buying a PAR meter is not necessarily bad advice. Sometimes certain corals can thrive in lighting much dimmer than is usually recommended, but having a PAR meter can give you an excellent starting point for where each coral should be positioned.

808jaymakoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a PAR meter is not necessarily bad advice. Sometimes certain corals can thrive in lighting much dimmer than is usually recommended, but having a PAR meter can give you an excellent starting point for where each coral should be positioned.

+1 and only reason I suggest seneye is the multiple monitoring capabilities. Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp, par, lux. All digitally and the capability to track it over time plus send you messages when something is out of whack.

b_rad_G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but telling a new to buy a par meter is bad advice. 99% of reef tanks have never had a par meter and it is completely unnecessary. Par is just a number nothing more. Seems like in the last 5 years everyone is more focused on the number and not the coral. People act like if you have a certain number par you can grow this coral or that. Its simply not true. Acro need 250 or something. That is crap because there are like 10000 species of acropora..how can all of them need the same par?

I have a chalice right next to a bottle brush about 8 inches below my light. One is supposed to be high light the other is medium to low. Guess what? That's where they both like it. Buying a meter can't tell you what corals you can keep. Research and observation is the only way.

OP
OP
Mr tap water

Mr tap water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all thank you for your advice I would like to know how deep is your tanks and how close are your nearest Corals to your lights

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back