What Salt Mix are you using in your reef?

What salt mix are you using?

• Red Sea

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Red Sea Pro

Votes: 118 20.9%
  • ESV

Votes: 22 3.9%
  • D-D H2Ocean

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • D-D H2Ocean Magnesium Pro Plus

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • Tropic Marin

Votes: 9 1.6%
  • Tropic Marin Pro

Votes: 32 5.7%
  • Brightwells

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Coralife

Votes: 9 1.6%
  • Instant Ocean

Votes: 109 19.3%
  • Reef Crystals

Votes: 147 26.1%
  • Kent Marine

Votes: 21 3.7%
  • Seachem

Votes: 31 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 32 5.7%

• Total voters

Feathers&Frags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in the hobby three years ago. IORC was the craze and everyone said to use it. So, being new to the hobby, I started with that salt. In my opinion, I think people use it because it's popular and it's cheap. I switched to Kent Marine and was not impressed. The levels were low unless I mixed at 1.026 and then I was using a LOT of the salt mix so I wasn't getting anywhere near the amount as advertised. Plus it was very inconsistent. I tried Seachem Reef Salt (I like most of Seachem's products) but found some of the less desirable levels to be elevated. I was talking to a good friend of mine (who also works at the local LFS) and he told me about Red Sea Coral Pro. I bought a bucket and, after three water changes, I noticed a considerable difference. I used it for a year and then, in a raffle, I won a bucket of Salinity. I went through the bucket and I must say I was VERY disappointed. The cost and the results were MILES apart. I switched back to RSCP and I will never switch again! And my corals thank me every time I have to frag them due to amazing color, growth, and beauty!

kgk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Fritz Pro and I like it. Mixes clear, clean and quickly. Alk right at 8.5 every batch.

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used reef crystals for a few years. Very happy with it for the most part.
Just recently started using esv. I like that I can mix a batch and its ready for use in 10-15 mins
Each batch is spot on.

Cleared up space in my laundry room. No more brute cans to mix and hold saltwater anymore.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was using Reef Crystals for a very long time, but thought I'd "up my game" and try out Tropic Marin Pro. Hey, it's one of the most expensive, so it should be one of the best, right? Well, just fired up my SECOND bucket that mixes ALK at 4.39DKh. Gonna turn this $100 bucket into weed killer and go back to RC. It may turn brown if you mix it too long, but at least my parameters were stable. 430/8.5 all day, every day.

Mac

What do you mean by "It may turn brown if you mix it too long"

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped ESV about 8 months ago went back to RED SEA the Blue bucket I like the lower parameters.

Anyone ells switched from their original post?

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Saltyphish said, if you leave it mixing too long, you'll get a brown film in your bucket and on the powerheads/pumps/heater you use to mix. No negative effect I was ever able to find, other than eventually, you'll have to clean the powerheads/pumps or they'll quit working. From what I understand, it's some impurities that come with the salt. Don't mean to cast any dispersions, since RC always mixed at the right parameters for me, and my corals all grew fine, just a mild complaint.

Mac
What do you mean by "It may turn brown if you mix it too long"

Dan1789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using ESV, but I'm going back to RC. 30g at 9 cups gave me 1.030 twice, this last time it gave me 1.020. Too much work to make salt water, going back to simple RC.

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just fired up my SECOND bucket that mixes ALK at 4.39DKh.
Mac

Interesting. I have never had a low Alk problem with TMP salt. I have used a few different ones and have come back to this for consistency of product and ease of use. I also get better results with TMP. I usually do two water changes a week and this is only salt that keeps my alk, ca, and mag consistently at the right levels.

I tried RSCP and ended up spiking alk every w/c. I also didn't like how it clouded up if left with a pump in it for a few hours.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Reef Crystals since start up but recently switched to HW Marinemix Reefer due to it's lower alkalinity (9.0 at 1.026)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I have never had a low Alk problem with TMP salt. I have used a few different ones and have come back to this for consistency of product and ease of use. I also get better results with TMP. I usually do two water changes a week and this is only salt that keeps my alk, ca, and mag consistently at the right levels.

I tried RSCP and ended up spiking alk every w/c. I also didn't like how it clouded up if left with a pump in it for a few hours.

I got another bucket of TMP salt. Pretty much mixed like the 1st 200g bucket: ca 425, alk 6.9 dkh, mg 1300. Perfect for me. I dose carbon so the alk is right on.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back