What Salt Mix are you using in your reef?

What salt mix are you using?

• Red Sea

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Red Sea Pro

Votes: 118 20.9%
  • ESV

Votes: 22 3.9%
  • D-D H2Ocean

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • D-D H2Ocean Magnesium Pro Plus

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • Tropic Marin

Votes: 9 1.6%
  • Tropic Marin Pro

Votes: 32 5.7%
  • Brightwells

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Coralife

Votes: 9 1.6%
  • Instant Ocean

Votes: 109 19.3%
  • Reef Crystals

Votes: 147 26.1%
  • Kent Marine

Votes: 21 3.7%
  • Seachem

Votes: 31 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 32 5.7%

• Total voters

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Tropic Marin Bio-Actif for 6 months and was happy with it, it had it's faults though. I switched to Tropic Marin Pro Reef as it's meant to be ran with a calcium reactor and I just set up an all SPS system 4 months ago. Pro> Bio-actif

Acanholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquacraft marine mix. Disolves totally and is ready to use in about 10 minutes. Crystal clear water. Never tested the parameters though but results are really great.

Last edited:

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using brightwell NeoMarine about 8 weeks or so ago and have not noticed any difference compared to Reef Crystals besides the price...

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean since my beginnings of Reefing. Most dose anyways, why buy the more expensive stuff.

reef. coffee & curly hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are the brands I've tried and what my experiences and purposes for/from them. I use Red Sea coral pro ($50-$65) (or D&D H2Ocean great salt but a little pricier) right now as the elevated levels can really speed up frag and small clam growth but the higher levels (esp. alk) tend to make SPS lose a little color and slows down soft coral growth. When I'm wanting my color back and the frags have grown in some I'll switch back to regular Red Sea, Reef Crystals, or SeaChem's reef salt ($33-$43)depending on what the best deal are at the time as I'll buy enough for 3-6 months . All TropicMarin salt mixes were also good but my buckets always came in solid as a rock. SeaChem Salinity is good and has elevated levels but had low redox potential and always took longer to mix and would leave calcium deposits something serious in my brute trash can. I never tried Kent but have two buddies that like it and ESV I've tried once and it is great but a little pricey. I'm sure the other salts are good too just haven't got to them yet. Someone mentioned "Consistency" and that person nailed it.

shse666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Reef Crystals, Red Sea, Coralife, Salinity, and Kents. The Brightwell salt makes me feel sick. Something about that blend disagrees with me when mixing it.

Does anyone rotate their salt blends on a regular basis?
I can't imagine that every single thing about natural sea water stays highly consistent during the life of a fish or a coral. It has to change at least somewhat.
What do people think about changing the salt mix every once in a while not for financial reasons but to avoid old tank syndrome, or other reasons?

Reefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used IO for awhile but switched to Aquavitro Salinity a couple months back and so far I like it. Levels are better, mixes faster and with no residue.

cardiffgiant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef crystals for several years. I've not had issues and have heard horror stories about switching, so I just stick with it. If it's on sale, I usually order a few cases at a time.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back