Water Parameters

What parameters do you test for regularly?

• Alkalinity

Votes: 236 79.7%
  • Calcium

Votes: 228 77.0%
  • Magnesium

Votes: 119 40.2%
  • Boron

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Iodine

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Nitrate

Votes: 145 49.0%
  • Nitrite

Votes: 55 18.6%
  • Phosphate

Votes: 106 35.8%
  • Iron

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Salinity?

Votes: 233 78.7%
  • PH

Votes: 177 59.8%

• Total voters

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been a parameters poll on this site?

What folks are testing for and target valules?

Or, is RC info enough for everyone? I just really dislike RC and don't like wading though all the mess.

What made me want to ask about this is a discussion I was having with a local reefer who was telling me I need to be testing for boron. I have absolutely on idea why I would want to test for it.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only thing i test for: alk, ca, magnesium once every few months, phosphate randomly, and nitrate once a year or so.

im also moving this to the general discussion forums

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set a goal to test Ca and Alk (Salifert) every two weeks or so and salinity once a week with a refractometer. Don't test anything else unless something starts telling me I need to.

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested more frequently when I first started, but now I pretty much know how my system reacts.

I'll test at random times maybe every 4 weeks or so for Alk and Mg. SG I look at more often. Mainly I check to see if things have drifted.

I used to test Ca along with Alk, but since Ca is in excess relative to total Alk, I don't pay as much attention to it anymore as long as I expect it to be well over 400ppm.

I tested for iodine a few times, but stopped after I found a dosing rate to keep it on the high side of the range.

I like the Salifert Alk, Mg, and Iodine tests. I like the SeaChem Ca test. Trace elements I don't test/dose for, and rely on water changes to take care of those.

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I test for in Salinity also...I use a refractometer. I keep it right about 1.025 or so.

Up to about 6 months ago I had never really tested anything including salinity! I would just use 1/2 cup salt per gallon of water change water!

rmhuntley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never tested for anything accept Salinity( I actually don't even own test kits). I do fairly large water changes every 2 weeks(30%-50%) and everything seems to do just fine in my tank

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is the main thing. If you do regular water changes, and use high quality salt...what could really go wrong?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice poll! I am also at the eye ball test system for my current tank, in that I don't test unless something seems off (it is a stable tank). But when setting up my new tank (as I am right now) I test for pH, alk, Nitrate/ite, ammonia, salinity, and temp.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is the main thing. If you do regular water changes, and use high quality salt...what could really go wrong?
once you get a lot of sps your alkalinity and calcium will be greatly impacted, dropping large amount in a day is not uncommon.

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, what twon said. You will not be able to maintain alk, Ca, and Mg with water changes alone if you have a lot of stoneys.

OP
OP
da6d2003

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what started my question. My display tank is backwards. I haven't tested to ca for years and a buddy of mine commented on my sarco looking mad. He said to test my Ca. It was off the chart using an old saltifert test. I bought a new Seachem test kit and yep it tested 500+. eek! I haven't adjusted my knop in forever. (it's now off and will be restarted when things settle down.) That will teach me to be complacent. Everything else tested fine until I tested Alk which was fairly low. I've spent the last 2 weeks bringing levels to where they should be and did a big water change this weekend.

There, I admitted my short comings and feel much better.:)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are forgiven my son.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back