Question about adding refugium to established tank

bucfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100G bare bottom DT with a 35G sump that has a space for a fuge. I had bad experience with bio-pellets and have taken them offline. In order to control nitrates I want to return to using a fuge. I have some questions about this.

1. Can I just restart the fuge and add substrate and macros, lights and go? Should I expect any untoward effects in my DT from this? Any spikes?
2. What substrate should I use? Miracle Mud? Live sand (what type is best)?
3. What macro is best for the fuge? Heard about things going asexual and don't want to delve into those.
4. How much flow should I have in the fuge. The way the sump is set up the flow is probably 1/2 to 1/3 compared to the skimmer area.
5. What should the photoperiod be over the fuge? 24/7 or alternate with DT?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add Macro Algae and go, no fuss no muss.
I don't use substrate and don't see any reason for it. But if you do, I'd go with a DSB so this will help your cause.
Caulerpa can go asexual and take over your tank, other than that, your pretty safe.
I lik ethe 5-6 times flow rate, but I still have a powerhead in my fuge to keep the Macro tumbling.
Photo period can be what you want. Some run 24/7 some will run those lights opposite the DT lights.

OP
OP
bucfan

bucfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any disadvantage to adding a refugium to a bare bottom tank? Read somewhere it can strip nutrients since a BB is a low nutrient system. Also could using a DSB in the fuge cause any spikes in my DT? My PO are currently 0.00 running RowaPhos. My NO are ~ 20.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your running a system thats that clean already, theres no reason to run a sand bed at all.
But, if you add a DSB, whats it going to strip out of the water column? Nothing there for the bacteria to strip out. If you were to run one, I don't think its going to cause any spikes. Plus it takes a bit of time for a DSB to take hold, the bacteria has to have time to grow. It won't spike anything.
No disadvantage adding a Fuge, other than if the system is that clean, your Cheato or other Macro won't grow.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back