POLL - Do you Feed Coral During the Day or at Night after Lights Out?

Do you Feed Coral During the Day or at Night after Lights Out?

• During the Day - Lights On

Votes: 84 58.3%
  • After Dark - Lights Off

Votes: 60 41.7%

• Total voters

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you Feed Coral During the Day or at Night after Lights Out?

I am wondering which is better?

I feel it may depend on the Aquarium though.

For Instance my 55 has Coral like Acropora, Favia, and Candy Cane which only open their Feeder Tentacles after the Lights have been out for a while at Night and are in Complete Darkness.

But my 29 and 10 Gallon Aquariums have a lot of Coral like Zoanthids which just Close up at Night.

So I was thinking about Feeding the 10 and 29 Aquariums during the day when the lights are still on.

And Feeding the 55 Late at Night.

What do you guys think?

When do you guys Feed your Coral?

Please take part in my Poll and Vote.

P.S. I feed Reef Roids (A Fine Powder) and Seachem Reef Plus Ammino Acids and Trace Elements (A Liquid) both Twice a Week.

Last edited:

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my corals about an hour or so after the lights go to night mode. All the fish have gone to bed and the corals can feed in peace.
I also see way more polyp extension at night as opposed to feeding during the daylight hours.

Last edited:

eserrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was going to ask the same thing about my new bubble anemone i dont know much about it and my fish store said i dint have to do nothing but i look stuff up and it said i had to feed it

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't necessarily have to feed them but they do enjoy an occasional piece of squid. They need light more than anything else and they will get nutrition from the food that you feed your fish.

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few drops of Zeovits "coral vit" at the beggining of each day seems to do wonder for my tanks. Chalice, lps, and sps alike show great polyp extension.

misscoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont have to feed btas but yoy can if you choose to do so. They told me the first week you get your anemone you pretty much leave it alone don't touch it don't feed it. Pretty much leave it to acclimate. They need the time to get used to new surroundings . In my opinion they are touchy. What they are beautiful. After the first week you can feed it 2-3 times a week . I love anemones.

eserrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont have to feed btas but yoy can if you choose to do so. They told me the first week you get your anemone you pretty much leave it alone don't touch it don't feed it. Pretty much leave it to acclimate. They need the time to get used to new surroundings . In my opinion they are touchy. What they are beautiful. After the first week you can feed it 2-3 times a week . I love anemones.

ok thanks i am going to leave it alone then

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my corals when I feed my fish. This is my feeding schedule;
Sunday: 2-3 cubes frozen, nutramar ova, pellets
Monday: 2 cubes frozen, nutramar ova, pellets, reef roids, Fauna Marin LPS pellets
Tuesday: 2-3 cubes frozen, nutramar ova, pellets
Wedneday: 2-3 cubes frozen, nutramar ova, pellets
Thursday: 2 cubes frozen, nutramar ova, pellets, reef roids, Fauna Marin LPS pellets
Friday: 2-3 cubes frozen, nutramar ova, pellets
Saturday: 2 cubes frozen, nutramar ova, pellets, GonioPower
I like feeding my corals, and they seem to like me feeding them. My dendro gets fed most nights with frozen food and I have been feeding one of my ricordeas a lot as he is splitting.

Coraloliseffect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ware my sun glasses at night. Oops I mean, I feed my scolli at night. Everyone else gets fed by fish poop when they feel the urge and amino acid during light hours.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not target feed my corals in general either, there is plenty enough fish food scraps and waste for them to thrive. My system is very mature, primarily a SPS Reef and there is not any Scoly/Trachy/Wellso/Duncan type corals that do need to be fed. There are a lot of factors going into a "Need to feed corals or not" decision like overall bio-load, amount and type of fish feedings per day/week, exact specie of coral and even lighting (PAR levels to sustain life) In my ultra high bio-load system (125g DT and approx 170g total voulume) there is 18 fish including 5 Tangs in which I feed 3 frozen cubes (1 mysis, 1 Brine Shrimp, 1 Bloodworm) twice daily along with an auto feeder containing a mix of NLS pellets and Seaweed Extreme pellets in two sizes each also twice daily. I do have several LPS colonies like Acans, Candycanes and Favia Corals that have thrived for many years without target feedings.

Cheers, Todd

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my LPS an hour after the MH turn off and my T-5s are on. My Red Trachy/Wellso would go insane 2 min after a little shot with the turkey baster into the water column. Then I would come back and spot feed all the other corals.

I feed all my Acans, Blastos, Dendro, and fleshy LPS corals about 2x a week. They seem to be faring well and my water quality stays fine with GFO and WC every 15 days.

I thought I would share a few pics since we just became a sponsor of R2R....
Thanks for looking,
Larry

Clownandcrabwellso.jpg

Extended.jpg

Clams_zps2f6f7cd5.jpg

Acans_zps3a7c3fc2.jpg

AcansandBlasto_zpsf15c47b2.jpg

JerryD120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feed my RBTA 2x/week. It loves the krill. I was told if you don't want it to move, feed it as soon as it starts to perk up after introducing it into your tank. Doing that tells the anemone, that is where the food is... I did that with mine and it stayed exactly where I placed it and it hasn't moved, at all. Different circumstances, for different tanks, but it worked for mine.

Oh, back on topic, I don't feed my corals either. Except my Duncans.

Jerry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the day. I have noticed what you say at night. My favia does it as well as brain and acans the put there feeders out at night. I'm going to put some reef chili now and see what happens. I imagine spot feeding would be best though.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both really. :)

Heybert2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is when I feed I put in a littel and wait when I see that corals are ready I feed everything fish and coral.

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just a newbie with a 29 biocube, but I like to feed my corals for now. They seem to love it! I feed some when I'm feeding the fish and others early in the am before the lights go on. I see lots of feeder tentacles out at that time and my fish are still sleeping and don't bother the corals after feeding. Reef Frenzy- I love the pic of the porcelain crab holding onto his anemone. I hope to get a porcelain crab for my anemone soon. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back