Changing out sand bed on a established sps tank?

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states I have gotten sick of my existing sugar size sand bed in my sps tank I would like to know if anyone can give me some advice on changing it out while not destroying my sps. The existing sandbed is about 2 inches thick it gets blown all over the place so I would like to go to heavier courser sand anybody have any input it would be appreciative
Thanks

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just siphon it out during a WC and focus on the areas that get blown out then replace with new courser grade live or well rinsed using a plastic bag or cup to deposit it where you want it. I just added some Old School crushed coral to these areas which pretty much eliminated the sandstorms.

Cheers, Todd

ValorG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon out small sections of the old sand. Never take it all out at once. You can use a large diameter funnel and pvc pipe to put in the new sand where you want it without much of a mess.

Hampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use Tupperware bins to keep them separate as you slowly add one and remove the other.

Another way is to just add more and more of the new over time and scoop both out and sift them apart, then put the bigger back in.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back