Want to start a reef club local to Sarasota and Bradenton areas. Anyone

Auhiwayman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Lakewood Ranch. I've got a 90 gallon mixed reef. I've had aquariums off and on for 40 yrs but only started with reefing about 3 years ago. I'd like to be part of a local club. Count me in!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy folks. I started this thread and glad it has finally got something going on. I know a mod on here that has started a few clubs etc. I'm going to talk to him to see how to properly start a club.

Have a few people down woth Sarasota hat will be interested.

charliet21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think we should let joekool drive the bus see where he takes us...as for a place to me.. i just moved this weekend and new house is messy. And im in the middle of a transfer.waiting for my new 120 to cycle..

Auhiwayman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fine by me. We could meet at a local pub and get to know each other. May bring some pics. I'd enjoy talking to someone interested in this hobby that's not necessarily trying to sell me something (although I do feel like there are some LFS's that I've got good advise from). Anyway, it would be good to get to talk face to face with others about their tanks, experiences, etc. I'm stoked!

Hinecken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should contact some of the officers of the Palm Beach Marine Aquarium Society at http://pbmas.org . Those guys are no joke, been around for quite a while. Best of luck to you.

Hinecken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may be able to provide you with information on how to start and maintain a successful club. Been around for a while with multiple sponsors and events. I'm not a member, but have been to a few events and they're well done. Just a suggestion, take with a grain if salt

Auhiwayman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess it couldn't hurt. The worst they could say wouldn't hurt my feelings. I deal with contractors for a living!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think first we should come up with a name for this club. Then we can get a forum on R2R to talk about all the details.

Having a hang out session would be a cool start to meeting the members we have interested in being in the club.

Once we have a name then I will do a Facebook page.
Then we as a group need to decide how we want this club to be such as just for fun, actual meetings like an association, get together BBQs. Do we want to have guest speakers or LFS stores involved in the club. Lots of things to think about.
Lets take it one step at a time.

I think a get together is a good idea. Not sure how familiar everyone is with Sarasota but there is a cool pub I used to go to a lot call the **** and Bull. It is on cattleman road near Palmer. This is south of fruitville and north of Beeridge rd.

If we get together than we can see if we are going to get this thing really going and decide on a name.

Wish that the word also known as a rooster was not hashed out as it is not a derogatory word used in this sense

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back