Look what was inside this Lionfish!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Austin L. shared this photo of a 10" lionfish and the contents that were found inside it's belly! Crazy! Shows the impact they can have!

1553280_10152009087503096_168190871_zps9ea55f71.jpg

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only is it impressive that he devoured two whole tangs...but the fact that he devoured all of those fish in a short enough period of time that none of them have began to be processed!

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm... I'm skeptical of this photo. It doesn't seem like there'd be enough physical space for all that. Any lion experts out there?

Cytranic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept lion fish, and I've seen first hand what they can do to a reef in a year. This is certainly not out of the question, and he could prob fit a few more in his belly. These fish are hogs and will eat anything till they throw up.

Ripnlips82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lion and he could eat more than my largemouth bass that I had in a 220. Its its amazing how much for they can put down for the size.

teamx151

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are killing off the fish in our Florida reefs. They have lion fish derby's to help try to eradicate them. So far they haven't even put a dent in the population, they just keep multiplying.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a lion and he could eat more than my largemouth bass that I had in a 220. Its its amazing how much for they can put down for the size.

LOL I had a large mouth bass in with some minnows once and he was not much bigger than the minnows. He literally swam around for days with the tail of a minnow sticking out of his mouth. I could not believe it, you would think they would choke.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish are ambush predators, they don't chase down their prey and is why they are so damaging to the new areas they occupy. The native fish population is historically unaware of the threat they pose. Tangs and Wrasses are both curious species and do not realize any danger until it's to late. It will take many generations for these native fish to become instinctively aware. Next time I'm down in Florida will make the extra effort to go on a Lion Fishing Expedition, maybe save some fillets to bring back home and process into homemade fish food for my Reef = IRONY

Cheers, Todd

Tradewinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm... I'm skeptical of this photo. It doesn't seem like there'd be enough physical space for all that. Any lion experts out there?

As am I.

They are ferocious eaters, but I wonder how it could fit that much into it's stomach. The lion fish's doesn't appear to have been cut open, how did they get the other fish out?

Omega0397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an avid fisherman I have no doubt that that lion fish could have all of that in its stomach. I have caught stripers with stomachs packed with everything from full sized bunker to 16"+ fluke. It's amazing what fish can eat and fit in their stomach.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see how that lionfish could fit that last tang in its mouth. they can eat a lot but there mouths only open so wide. I had 2- 10 plus in. lionfish. when they were babies I'd give them goldfish that were almost the same size as them, they'd swim around for hours with the goldfish tail hanging out of there mouths.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back