Switching tanks and have a couple of question.

achiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 47 gallon cube with a canister filter and will soon be moving to a 120 with a sump/refugium. I have several corals that I plan on moving over. I will be using new dry rock in the DT but planned on using my current live rock in the sump to help the bioload. One issue I have is freaking waving hand spreading all over the place in the current tank that I DO NOT WANT in the new tank I assume even if it is in the sump it could spread to the DT? Should I not use the current live rock without cooking it and basically starting over? Can I remove most of it from the rock by hand then to the sump without lights or would the remaining stuff dying cause a bad stuff spike in chemistry? I do have the option of cycling the new tank without breaking down the old tank but was hoping to save a little time and money by re-using the liverock in the new tank. Any other ideas/suggestions on switching tanks would be appreciated.

teen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id say set up the new tank with your sand and dry rock. get it running with saltwater and then add say 3 raw cocktail shrimp. this will give you the ammonia spike needed to get the cycle going.. remove them after a day and a half if you can find them. if not dont worry about it. now the new tank is cycling. when the ammonia drops to zero and nitrite is almost on its way down, start pulling your old rock and get it in a rubbermaid with no lights, a powerhead, and a heater. let it cook for like 2 weeks. it should only take another day or so after the new tank has no ammonia present and nitrite is on the way back down for it to be safe for fish and livestock. make the switch over after nitrite hits 0. after the rock cooks for 2 or 3 weeks move it into your dt or sump accordingly. im always a fan of cooking rock before putting it in a new system. it really only helps in the long run..

LPSGUY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put as much rock that is not covered with anthelia into your sump. The rest pull off as much waving hand as you can, it's slimy but with some work you can manage to get most off. Now, I would then take some boiling water and dump on the areas that you couldnt get it off. After this you should be done it shouldnt come back. To be safe, dont run any lights in the sump for a couple weeks. I would also do a couple 20% water changes and use that water for the new tank, then after a couple weeks of doing water changes use all the water from the 46, add salt, and your tank should be almost cycle free.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back