POLL - Do you Run Carbon or No? I hear it is bad for Zoanthids and Chalices and can cause Lateral L

Do you Run Carbon in your Aquarium?

• Total voters

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used carbon for many years without any Issues. I use the zeovit carbon. My understanding some carbons are stronger than others which could create Issues.

Valshar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't on my 90 gallon when I first set it up last year and had all sorts of trouble. Added carbon into my systems sump and the algae disappeared, water became crystal clear and my corals started growing again. I'm not sure if it was the carbon, but I don't think I want to chance going without it again.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used several types. Prefer high quality but will use Marine land in a pinch and have never had an issue I could tie to carbon.
To the OP
Hang on Filters can be used on a reef tank. Its relative to the tank and filter size but wouldn't use the stock cartridge but a product like Pur Complete cut to fit pad. The mechanics are pushing water through media. Its the media that matters and Tetra is not it. Personally not even in my sons goldfish tank.
I didn't see a value for phosphate. Sure low levels are exceptable for chalices but not high. Need to get a test kit and see were you are at.
Also what is happening to them? How r they dieing? I would ha e to search for it but years ago there was a thread on another site titled "help me my chalices are melting" in it a bacteria infection was blamed for it. This bacteria was believed to have stayed in the tank a period of time with no host coral to only attach a new coral once added.
Point is as noted there are a lot of things to blame before carbon however I would stop using the tetra.

dangerbird123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think it was doing anything so stopped. 6 months later was getting stn, poor growth, etc. Couldn't figure it out. Added carbon, problems resolved in 1-2 weeks. Now I change it monthly.

Steven@

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the life of carbon is two weeks... but of course it depends on the quality of the water when you start using it... if tank is super dirty you may need to change it out every week until you get the water clarity you are looking for then switch to every two weeks... not sure how chem clean elite can last for 6 months? I run 2 cups with a maxi jet pump... Foster and smith pellets, just make sure it does not tumble too much and break down as that will cause some of the issue stated previously... Carbon dust will kill some corals and harm fish.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the life of carbon is two weeks... but of course it depends on the quality of the water when you start using it... if tank is super dirty you may need to change it out every week until you get the water clarity you are looking for then switch to every two weeks... not sure how chem clean elite can last for 6 months? I run 2 cups with a maxi jet pump... Foster and smith pellets, just make sure it does not tumble too much and break down as that will cause some of the issue stated previously... Carbon dust will kill some corals and harm fish.

Carbon Dust Kills Stuff. Interesting.

Does GFO Dust Kill Coral too?

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using Carbon and it seems like my Zoanthids are Growing Faster.

Has anybody else noticed this after using Carbon for a long time and then cutting it out entirely?

Has anybody noticed any negative effects after they stopped using Carbon (or GFO)?

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon Dust Kills Stuff. Interesting.

Does GFO Dust Kill Coral too?

Go dust will stain or make sand and stuff it gets on discolor. That's all I know about its affects. Sure you wouldn't want to blow it over your corals. Assuming that's why it's to be rinsed well.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use carbon when I was cycling a new reef setup, and after a few month I did not need the carbon any more. It has been about 10 years since I had my last reef setup, I have setup my new reef and I am not using carbon this time. The only time I would use it now is if a had a major ammonia spike.

hejjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the topic of HLLE and tangs, I can tell you from experience that running carbon is not the issue, its when the carbon gets into the water that is the issue. If you buy low grade carbon, allow it to tumble (if running in a reactor), or not rinse it properly the carbon gets into the water and can cause HLLE in tangs. My blue hippo tang started to develop HLLE, and I too found the articles blaming carbon. But what I found when I pulled my reactor was the whole section of my sump was covered in carbon dust. I was running cheap carbon and allowing it to tumble. If you do research on some of the top shelf carbon "ROX", you will find it is harder so it resists breaking down. Also if you use a reactor and you read the direction (like I did not), you will find they recommend you use a foam pad to keep the carbon from tumbling.

+1. Only use ROX .8 or don't use carbon at all imo.

http://youtu.be/oVpRGzerJFI

NickCage007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this poll is old, but I just googled this, out of curiosity really, and thought I'd just add, I run chemipure elite, that, purigen and media spheres (not the block, the balls) are my entire filtration. I run two of the 25 gal bags, in my 15 gal nano. I swap them a month apart, every three months. I have zoas, acans, euphyllia, candy canes, GSP, Xenia, it all thrives. The carbon doesn't seem to harm anything, in anyway, I have great growth. I do run a little poly, just at the intake grate, to catch nonsense. I change that every other day or so. Anyway, happy reefing all. Feel free to message me with any questions, nano reefers!

Back