POLL - Do you Run Carbon or No? I hear it is bad for Zoanthids and Chalices and can cause Lateral L

Do you Run Carbon in your Aquarium?

• Total voters

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you Run Carbon or No?

I hear it is bad for Zoanthids and Chalices?

I have also heard that it causes Lateral Line Disease in Fish.

And Many Chalices that I get Die so I am thinking about not using it anymore.

On all Four of my Aquariums I have a Tetra Hang on the Back Cascading Freshwater Filter.

I change the Filter Pad in them Weekly adding Brand New Carbon once a week.

Do you guys think that this is a good idea or not?

Please take part in the Poll and please tell me why you Do or Do Not Run Carbon.

Last edited:

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran carbon for years and have never had any of the issues mentioned. I use ROX 0.8 which is a premium carbon.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In eight years of keeping a mixed reef with zoa's chalice's acans and every kind of coral you could imagine I've never had a bad reaction when I ran carbon. A couple of my fish are near 10 years old and don't have any signs of HLLE. I've currently been running carbon 24/7 because I started running Ozone. MY LPS and zoa's are just fine.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you say it does not cause any problems what are the benefits?

Why is it that you choose to use the Carbon?

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use "Special" Carbon?

My LFS sells Regular Carbon and also "Reef Carbon"

I use the Freshwater Carbon that comes in Silver Packets from Tetra.

Is that why my Corals are Dying?

Should I use a different type of Carbon?

Spsnut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen anyone say that they had problems with GAC when used in moderation. I dump my little bit in the wc bucket; as long as it stays warm it's amazing how long the critters that get sucked out like fireworms, stars, and baby snails can stay alive.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use any kind of carbon I feel like buying. Are you rinsing your carbon well with RO water before adding it. I used to add a filter sock full (2cups) to my 500 gallon system once a month. Then I added two cups to my reactor once a month on my 400 gallon system. Now I run about 1 1/2 cups in a sock on my skimmer output full time to remove toxins from my ozone reactor.

Running carbon will help clear your water for better light penetration and helps to remove toxins from the corals.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use any kind of carbon I feel like buying. Are you rinsing your carbon well with RO water before adding it. I used to add a filter sock full (2cups) to my 500 gallon system once a month. Then I added two cups to my reactor once a month on my 400 gallon system. Now I run about 1 1/2 cups in a sock on my skimmer output full time to remove toxins from my ozone reactor.

Running carbon will help clear your water for better light penetration and helps to remove toxins from the corals.

See that is why I heard that it kills Zoanthids and Chalices.

It makes the water Less Yellow allowing more Light Killing these two types of Corals.

I have also heard that the reason was that the Carbon pulled the good stuff out of the water too as well as the bad.

And that Zoas and Chalices like "Dirty" water hence killing them from Carbon.

Have you guys heard this as well?

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
POLL - Do you Run Carbon or No? I hear it is bad for Zoanthids and Chalices ...

1. I don't think carbon is what's killing your corals
2. It could be Nitrates, Phosphates, silicates, salinity, lighting, pests in the tank, a Zoa disease, flow, WAY too much carbon stripping the water too quickly, water temp, ph and alkalinity swings during the day and night, and plain contamination from something being put in the water from your home.

So as soon as you cross ALL THOSE off your list then you will know your answer.

As to your question.
I stopped running carbon 4 months ago Bc my tang started getting MHLLE.
When I removed it it stopped progressing and he has started getting better.
Ever since I have noticed to ill effects to anything.
The tank is thriving.
I have also heard from several people that the cheap carbon (tetra) contains heavy metals etc that will harm a reef.
And they only buy chemipure elite and other high end brands.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
POLL - Do you Run Carbon or No? I hear it is bad for Zoanthids and Chalices ...

And per your other post too much light won't kill zoas, just makes them shrink down tiny.

Carbon does make the water super clean but that won't kill them, just make them not grow very fast.

However nutrient stripping can occur if you let the water get real dirty then dump the whole jar of carbon in the tank instantly taking it all out of the water. You can do the same thing with GFO and that will kill softies quick.

And yes acans, zoas and chalices like a tank with a tiny bit of phosphates and nitrates in it. But having none of any won't kill them. And your other corals like stony ones HATE phosphates and nitrates. So it's better to have none.

This is my tank. 90% softies.
The rest acros and montis.
Everything is loving life. 0 nitrates 0 phosphates and over skimmed big time. And I have a GFO reactor running around the clock.
apagy4e3.jpg

Last edited:

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever had Problems with Acans, Chalices, or Zoanthids?

I have not. But I always put it in a dead spot in my sump. I never run flow directly over or through it. It's been working for me on all my systems, but I know several other people who put it in a bag and then in their filter sock.

kurtyboh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read in that article is not that carbon is the factor but too much carbon or not running carbon and then switching to a normal dose rather than ramping up to what the tank requires. If you look at it like you are they are also blaming skimmers for doing the same thing... yet very few reefers would run without a skimmer. seems to me like its more an an uninformed aquarist issue than a chemical issue.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know too many reefers who keep zoas and chalices and also run carbon to think it hurts the corals. If your light gets too bright from running carbon bc the water was yellow before, then I'd argue that the tank was very dirty before the carbon went in. Therefore, it was the rapid change of chemistry...the carbon stripping the water too quickly that caused ill effects...to me this just says "bad husbandry."

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back