Red and Purple War Coral Colony

Tom22re

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this more for an advanced reefer i've been in it for about a year and a half I've done real good with most of my corals just curious about this one if anyone has one or not pretty sure it's moderates a lower light thanks

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good hardy coral. If you're having success with other corals then go ahead and try one.

fungia_fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like these a lot. They are of the genus Favites (probably Favites pentagona). They're pretty hardy for a stony coral. They'll do well in both low and higher light, but I find they tend to color up best in low/moderate light. It doesn't mound, it spreads across the rock. If you aren't watching your Ca/Alk you should start if you're keeping stony coral, but these don't really suck the calcium down too much by stony coral standards.

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not bad corals to keep. I will tell you this because no one ever told me and I thought something was wrong with mine. They can be different colors. Mine happens to be the red/teal pattern. I thought for a long time that it was bleaching or something in the teal area and when I asked on here, I was informed that this was normal. You can see in this pic what I am talking about. So if your starts changing colors don't be worried because it is normal.

ry%3D480

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like to encrust so put it on the rock so it can grow. I have mine on the bottom glass of my bare bottom tank.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My war coral was on a plug so I epoxied it to the large rock it is on and I am very pleased with how it is encrusting. Its aggressive though and will sting to death anything it can reach.

Attachments

• 100_7445.jpg
    100_7445.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 100_8008.jpg
    100_8008.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 255

FLipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually try frags to experiment them in my tank.
Maybe something you should look into before buying a whole colony not knowing how good it would do in the tank.
Just imo.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks beautiful piece how long have you had it

I am assuming you mean ritter's war coral, not mine but I'll answer the question anyhow. Mine was a frag from my son's and I've probably had it almost 4 years but it really started growing the past year when I set up this tank.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Do you have anymore pics of the bare bottom tank. I'm thinking about going this route

Thanks. This is the most recent I have but I'm rebuilding from a pest issue. More pics are in the links of my signature.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425608470.870484.jpg

jonnyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. This is the most recent I have but I'm rebuilding from a pest issue. More pics are in the links of my signature.

That's a sweet tank. That's what I'm looking for.

Thanks but don't know why tapatalk does not allow you to click or view signatures. Can you post link. What lighting are you running ? Do you have a link of your build ?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jonnyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still using old evolution leds. I might be the only one on the planet using them now! 120 1w leds in each fixture. I've had them since April 2011.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/re...-2014-reef2reef-com-spotlight-ritter6788.html

This is my actual thread here. It was up a couple years before I started posting here. I had sand at the start here.
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/71555-ritter6788s-75-gallon-sps.html
Thanks for the info. Again tank looks great.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the war coral but it can be mean and grows fast, so don't let it get onto rock work or it will end up owning your whole tank. I'll add that when my acros and many LPS crashed, my war coral went first slowly and steadily declining. This makes me feel like as hardy as it is, it can still be a great indicator that there's something going wrong if it starts to decline.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ritter, how is that base of your purple stylo? Just wondering as I have one approaching that size. Mine is losing some color at the base, but still has good PE even where the color is washed. I tend to lose big colonies near the base when they get soccer ball size so I'm beginning to worry. Not stylo, but I lost 3 different BIG birdnest colonies and a pocci once the base became too shaded.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back