Reef Keeping Horror Story- Picture heavy ;)

Poseidon's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would share the worst possible experience of my reef keeping life

I had a 150g (48x24x30) sps dominate reef

this is an end shot of the tank

I had this tank for over a year (most of the livestock i had from a 180g system before that)
One sunday morning I wake up to find water on the floor, not alot, but enough to make the carpet damp, so i check everything only to find that a seam has a pin hole leak in it,

as im watching the leak, unsure how to react a 2nd and a 3rd leak start and panic sets in,
i quickly drained the tank into buckets and totes, putting the corals, rock and fish into the totes as i went along. by the time this was all done is was nearly sunday afternoon and luckily, everything had survived.

So the search for a new tank begins, relativity in a hurry because im not sure how long i could keep my corals alive in the buckets and totes for.

3 days later, I find a classified AD for a BRAND NEW, STILL IN THE BOX 130g bow front aquarium, was rimless and a beAUTiful tank.
So i take the day off work, go pick it up, spend the rest of the day getting it setup, running around buying the proper plumbing etc etc etc.
The tank was going in a different spot so i hadnt tore down my 150g yet so that was being done simultaneously basically.

just starting to fill up the new 130g bow, as you can see its in brand new condition
you can see my cabinet still from the 150 in the right of the pic

So, finally after many hours of work, panic and tedious moving and lifting and risky transferring of livestock, im done... no loses, (besides $$ but hey, that goes without saying lol) and all in all i end up with a beautiful tank upgrade even though i didnt plan for it.
heres some pics of all the livestock happy in their new home.

So you might think, well thats not so bad, everything lived, you basicly just had to spend alot of time and buy a new tank, no biggy...
well heres where it gets interesting folks:

DAY 3 of having my new happy 130g bowfront!

Watching the good ole' leafs game on the tv and suddenly i hear a crazy splashing noise, i look up to see water pouring out of the side of the new tank, not a pin hole leak this time, literally pouring...... the entire seam split and the tank was empty before i had enough buckets to put it all in- (empty in less than 5min)

blame it on w.e. you want, bad tank, manufuture defect (the one i concluded on), unlevel tank, etc etc etc.

So, another good several hours of panic, less than a week after my first leak, i had all the livestock back into buckets and alot of the stuff didnt look so good this time around, was too stressfull between the two moves.

I was out alot $$ and i dare say i was ready to quit.

I managed to put all the sps in my 65g sump tank, with a heater and a powerheads, and i dried up the floor best i could and went to bed.
woke up the next morning to find out the heater had malfunctioned and heated the sump up to a lethal 95 degrees.... so good by all my prized sps... :(

I have a frag system, i should mention, that is tuned in for sps and softies, so i put all my fish and lps corals into that.

After a good hard thinking session i decided id give it another shot and started looking for another tank, this time i priced out several new ones, but simply could not afford a new one at this time, especially after the drastic loss in finances after the 2nd leak.

About 2 weeks later I found a USED bowfront on kijiji, 150g, had all the proper bracing and was currently setup, so i went and grabbed that, set it all up
and about 2 months later now i have a happy, stabilized lps reef :)

heres a couple close up pics of my lps and zoas

So, all in all, i ended up with a nice tank and im still able to enjoy this hobby.
If i had to do it all over again, i would probably through in the towel, and many of my fellow reefers on local forums were
very surprised i didnt, but once your addicted its fairly hard to shake this hobby :)

I just wanted to share my story and maybe shine some light into the darker side of the hobby, im sure others have had worse tales, but i certainly wouldn't wish this on any reefer!

thanks for the read everyone!

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That had to be a very long month for you. I cannot imagine having one tank start leaking, let alone 2. Glad you stuck with it, and your new reef looks really healthy. I give you props for your dedication. Many would have given up.

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!! Sorry for all your troubles, but you are right...once you in it, you're in it for life :tongue:...once a reefer, always a reefer! That new tank is absolutely beautiful!

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after you set up your current tank did if take you sleep soundly, without thinking you could could water leaking??? That was very tough stretch you went through,way to stick with it.... Your tank looks great!

OP
OP
P

Poseidon's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after you set up your current tank did if take you sleep soundly, without thinking you could could water leaking??? That was very tough stretch you went through,way to stick with it.... Your tank looks great!

i still wake up in the middle of night or pause alot of movies because a water sound is 'out of place'
still verrry paranoid

thanks for all the compliments everyone!

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow ! way to stay with it! it is already looking great! BTW your wrasses are beautiful! Are those two leopard wrasses together? I too had a tank crack (56 gal marineland column) . It cracked down the whole side, and spewed water out all over the nearest wall socket. Luckily we were home for it. I too am still paranoid (so is the wife).

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the long run it turned out beautifully. You've probably used your life time allotment for leaking tank disasters.

It's funny how we get tuned into that sound of water being not quite right. Every time I have heard the odd drip it's always been a leak or water somewhere where it should not be.

The stand, tank and scape does look really nice.

reef heaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is just great and amazing your dedication. In the end you still have a beautiful tank and livestock. Great job.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a nightmare!!! You are one tough cookie! Glad you made it through it.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That really sucked, going through 2 tanks like that.

New setup looks great.

I can share your pain, finding a leak in a established tank.
My 240 is leaking right now. It's a slow leak, but it's on the bottom seam.
I have a tank setup for fish and 2 stock tanks ready. I've also got 265 gallon of saltwater made.
My new tank is being built this week.

OP
OP
P

Poseidon's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really sucked, going through 2 tanks like that.

New setup looks great.

I can share your pain, finding a leak in a established tank.
My 240 is leaking right now. It's a slow leak, but it's on the bottom seam.
I have a tank setup for fish and 2 stock tanks ready. I've also got 265 gallon of saltwater made.
My new tank is being built this week.

cutting it close eh? lol

and to reply to a few other comments-

-yea the red leopards are together, for about 5 months ive had them now, bought them as a pair and one is darker red than the other soooo im HOPING i have a male and female but who knows. Wrasse are my personal fave, i have a radiant, cleaner, flasher and the 2 leapords, and plans to get a flame wrasse pair sooner than later!

-the water sound detection by my ears, and others in this hobby obviously is insane. i have my return pump just shy of 3/4'' full blast controlled via gate valve and i accidentally adjusted it one day while cleaning and the drains didnt sound right for weeks lol

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what an ordeal. I can't even fathom that. I had one tank seam leak probably 20 years ago. It was a 40H freshwater and just went to the LFS and bought another, no big deal. I was young and dumb back then and didn't know a leak could turn into a burst seam. Older, wiser and more paranoid now! Anyway, good for you for hanging in there.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
cutting it close eh? lol

-the water sound detection by my ears, and others in this hobby obviously is insane. i have my return pump just shy of 3/4'' full blast controlled via gate valve and i accidentally adjusted it one day while cleaning and the drains didnt sound right for weeks lol

Yeah, this is almost like playing chicken with the leak.

In this case it is a slow leak. One drop every 4-5 seconds. It hasn't gotten any faster in a week and a half.
I time it 5-6 times a day .lol

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, with all these stories of tanks busting seams I am starting to get paranoid! But hey, my tank is only 18 years old.....( gulp! ) But that's when they made them like old Maytags right! LOL!

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1395976316.318323.jpg

(My 73 Maytag dishwasher that refuses to die ! )

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes, the tell-tale harvest gold color that was so popular in the early 70's. If I remember correctly it was sandwiched between avocado green and a chocolate brown. I still have a harvest gold stove in our basement that works great.

Sicklid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow man!!!
You are a brave reefer, now I know where the phrase "Never Give Up" is coming from!!
Your new LPS tank is really nice brother!!!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back