May be a silly question, but should my new live rock have dark gray clay in/on it?

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This rock is a HUGE price for my new 90g.. it is Hatian LR from my LFS - it is now in my new tank setup and as I was positioning it my middle 3 fingers sunk into a thick clay on the rock, deep enough that I can dig my fingers in it.

My question is, since I have never had this in either of my tanks and it's new to me, is this normal for large pieces of rock?

If my powerhead faces it, the tank gets very cloudy - it comes off layer after layer - so I moved the PH away from it. I want to know if this is something that may have little critters living in it and won't harm my tank or if I should remove the rock.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1397440792641.jpg
    1397440792641.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 254
OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the purple picture.. camera phone :) this is the 26lb rock, that is the 3 inch wide 2 inch deepish(?) hole.. In case this helps.

Attachments

• 1397441930437.jpg
    1397441930437.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 229
OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's sand, it's very soft, and clumps like clay - that's why I called it clay :)

Honestly, I'm confused as to what it is. Here's a crappy video - maybe this will provide some insight. The first few seconds are just the puff and then I am able to grab a chunk and pull it out of the water. Maybe this looks like something familiar to you?

https://youtu.be/iNL4KNye0Kk

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, weird. So it is more of a solid, like clay. My best guess is it is sand, just old, compacted, did I say old, sand. I would still try and remove as much of it as you can. Get a pick, a toothbrush and a turkey baster and just go at it.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would clean that out as good as you can. Last time I saw something like that it was from a rock my kids brought home from the beach and put in my tank (gulf coast side of FL) and it wasn't good. It left an oily film at my water surface that would not go away. It was bad enough that I soaked it up daily with paper towels of the surface.

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, at least my cycle really hasn't started yet for this tank - still in Week 1 so better now than later. I definitely don't want to end up regretting it later!

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be sand or detritus?

Well, I went back to the LFS today with my video and apparently someone else also complained to them about this. The manager said the distribution companies sometimes fill the bigger rocks with clay to weigh them down and make them cost more, and if they try and do this the shady way, at least they're suppose to let the clay dry before getting it wet, but if they don't - well, you get what I have.

So I turkey bastered what I could out, until my forearm hurt. The rock is still in my tank, there's no film or oily surface, the sand is dirty now, but ill siphon that layer of crud up in a day once it settles.

The manager refunded me the 158 bucks I spent on the rock, and gave me free filter socks - so I pretty much got a free rock out of this, just a lot of extra work to keep it. Besides the hassle, the dirty sand and having to change out and clean my sump & socks - its not so bad, in my opinion :)

Last edited:

castires

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's ridiculous, I've never heard of that before. Was he quick to give you the refund?

If so, I think you may have busted him on the practice he was trying to sell you on.

Very interesting indeed.

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's ridiculous, I've never heard of that before. Was he quick to give you the refund?

If so, I think you may have busted him on the practice he was trying to sell you on.

Very interesting indeed.

Yes actually, I didn't have to argue at all - but he did say he had another customer earlier with the same thing so that may be why he was quick to do it - or he knew ;)

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree! There are some shady small time LFS that harvest these rocks from crappy coves when no one is looking. I would buy rock eslewhere from this point on.

Jackie

For sure, Silly thing is I wasn't even in this store for rock! But it was calling my name... that's what i get for impulse buying.

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like he was trying to keep you quiet and not spread the word. Most of us if we get our money back, our lips are sealed.
Yes actually, I didn't have to argue at all - but he did say he had another customer earlier with the same thing so that may be why he was quick to do it - or he knew ;)

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, well I'm definitely not going to send anyone his way that's for sure.

I did count around 11 arthropods on that rock last night though, so I can't complain about that!

I hope no one else has to deal with that mess and cleanup like I did - such a pain to get my water clear again after that clay removal. It's looking good now though!

Attachments

• 1397935730660.jpg
    1397935730660.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 124

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job at the clean up. I probably wouldn't have been so nice. Lol. Another lesson for all of us to learn from.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back