Fwc lion fish update. Nolonger importable to Florida

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lionfish is an invasive species that threatens Florida’s native wildlife and habitat. With that in mind, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) on April 16 moved forward with steps to combat the spread of invasive lionfish.

Changes proposed by FWC staff at today’s meeting near Tallahassee will be brought back before the Commission at its June meeting in Fort Myers for final approval. Changes include:

Prohibiting the importation of live lionfish;
Prohibiting the development of aquaculture of lionfish;
Allowing the harvest of lionfish when diving with a rebreather, a device that recycles air and allows divers to remain in the water for longer periods of time; and
Increasing opportunities that will allow participants in approved tournaments and other organized events to spear lionfish or other invasive species in areas where spearfishing is not allowed. This will be done through a permitting system.
Staff has been working with the Florida Legislature on a bill in support of the initiatives to prohibit the importation of live lionfish and the aquaculture of lionfish.

“By targeting the importation of lionfish to our state, we can limit the number of new lionfish that find their way into Florida waters and, at the same time, encourage further harvest to reduce the existing invasive population,†said State Rep. Holly Raschein, sponsor of the House bill. “These fish pose a significant threat to Florida’s ecosystem, and I am proud to stand in support of the proposed ban. Anything we can do to limit new lionfish introductions and further facilitate the development of a commercial market for this invasive species is a step in the right direction.â€

Changes like these will make it easier for divers to remove lionfish from Florida waters and will help prevent additional introductions of lionfish into marine habitats.

Lionfish control efforts, from outreach and education to regulatory changes, have been a priority for FWC staff. In 2013, they hosted the first ever Lionfish Summit, which brought together various stakeholders from the public as well as management and research fields to discuss the issues and brainstorm solutions. The changes proposed at today’s meeting came from ideas that were discussed at the Lionfish Summit.

To learn more about these changes, visit MyFWC.com/Commission and “Commission Meetings.†To learn more about lionfish, visit MyFWC.com/Fishing and click on “Saltwater,†“Recreational Regulations†ad “Lionfish.â€

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allowing the harvest of lionfish when diving with a rebreather, a device that recycles air and allows divers to remain in the water for longer periods of time; and

Increasing opportunities that will allow participants in approved tournaments and other organized events to spear lionfish or other invasive species in areas where spearfishing is not allowed. This will be done through a permitting system

It needs to be done like feral hogs here in Texas. No season, no permits, no regulations. Non-native species are open season all day everyday if you have a hunting/fishing license.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the number in Florida waters already the ban on importing is kind of like closing the barn door after the cows get out.

Perfect agreement with the unlimited hunting of them. ritter's analogy to feral hogs is very appropriate.

rdevoe11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with ritter 100%...cant wait to spear one of the monsters on the protected reefs in the keys! lol

wonder if lionfish meat would be good for making your own frozen fish food...hmm

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, open season, no limits... This will honestly not help much to ban importation as they can roam. Need to control by fishing or spearing them.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many lion fish whilst diving. I understand that they are quite tasty. But you really do not get a very large fillet off of even a very big lion fish. They are tricky to clean because you have to be careful of the spines. I have seen quite a few killed. Nassau grouper will even follow a diver with a spear around hoping to get a lion fish.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not agree with this. I'm ok with hunting the fish that have taking over our coasts here in FL. But do they really think this is going to control a wild population that has already established it self here? Not so much.. As a former owner of a very large lion fish, (and also one of my favorite fish species I might ad) this is not the answer to the problem. I have no problem with overfishing this species till the population is under control. Same thing has happened with the population of boa constrictors here but yet you can still go to the pet store and buy one. When are they gonna change that state wide? Just a few thoughts and I will be curious how this plays out.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point fl

I think they should be fished like open season on hogs. I think that we shouldn't import them but we should be able to sell them from our waters. We have so many so we should not have o import them. So I agree no more import but sales of local caught fish okay.

Yes they are tasty.

Another fish we should be allowed to keep is Goliath grouper. They are sucking up all the fish in the gulf and sometime they come out at me while diving. The Goliath grouper is a real pain and could be a great food source. I fish very often in the gulf and lose many of fish to them.they need to open a season on them and then the other fish can come back in bigger populations. I have caught many 100+ pound fish and seen 200and 300 pound *******s while diving. I encounter them so often that there shouldn't be a reason for them not to have a season. They are not endangered by any means.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back