Just an Old Coot ranting

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally at the point in my life and the life of my reef tank where I know I can relax and nothing is going to happen. Well, I may become senile and the Earth may be invaded by aliens, global warming may disturb some polar bears and people will lost interest in Myley Cyrus, but besides that, I'm good.
smokin.gif
I can't get much balder but my tank almost takes care of itself. I am only here to give the hermit crabs something to make fun at. I don't have to quarantine, test, play with reactors, dosers, or controllers, never have to worry if anything is going to eat, or not eat. Nothing will get sick, Rarely do anything but occasionally change the water, and I only do that so people don't start threads saying how wrong I do everything.
freak3.gif

There is enough microscope life in the tank to feed whatever is in there, the brittle stars and amphipods are so plentiful that they started a rugby team. The "Staropods". The "nitrate factory" reverse UG filter is doing it's thing and almost everything is spawning. Not the copperband but I am playing Barry White music a lot.
redface.gif

I think there are three reasons that my tank seems to never have any problems. One is the age of the set up. I assume that after a few decades the bacteria get bored of doing stupid things to mess up the water and I also believe the life and bacteria I sometimes add from the sea may have a positive reaction. Of course I don't know. I doubt it is my good looks or the under arm deodorant I use (and sometimes lend to the hermit crabs) It could be luck as many people acuse me of having that. The last thing is the live food I feed every day. I know I mention that a lot, but it is what it is. That is the reason for the no quarantining, and the fact that everything is spawning and only dying of old age. Except for firefish, they jump out so to save time, when I buy them, I open the bag and throw them on the floor. I almost bought a garden eel this week and was tempted to tell the guy to just throw it on the floor in his store to save me the trouble, but I decided to just let it jump out of his tank and let him clean it up.
eek2.gif

I do realize many people have all sorts of "problems" and for many years I did try to add my opinion to those threads, but I gave up on many topics as my opinion on those topics just become arguements. Hair algae, ich and ground probes are all but off limits now and I hope the people with those things going on have good luck resolving them. My methods with all of them are very old school and we all know that old school never works. So just keep using that advice of changing the water and see how that ends up. I can't get into those philoshysical conversations that some of you college types can as I don't posess the vocabulary.
read.gif

I also realize that my tank is no where near as nice as many tanks on here as there are some very talanted and creative people and I am jealous of some of those tanks and very jealous of a few of them. My tank is just there and always seems to have been there. As I get older, I don't even remember most of the things I used to do in those early days, my methods today are so different from just about everyone on here as most people started their reef after the internet was invented by Al Gore or Pee Wee Herman, I forget who, but most tanks today seem to be run the same way. It seems to me anyway, with my high school education that the tanks that are fooled with the most, have the most problems. The ones that have to get the parameters exactly to where they are supposed to be according to someone get all screwed up. I have always felt that seawater is very stable as long as you don't mess with it. The corals use a little calcium and thats about it. (Yes I know, I am way off on that) The rest they get from the normal stuff in the water or the light. Now I know that if anyone is reading this, you are saying, "wow, I can't wait to finish reading this so I could give that Old Coot a piece of my mind". But hold off on that, I am old, crotchity and probably don't care. So start your own thread saying how much of an Idiot I am and I probably couldn't keep a goldfish alive. Actually, I can't keep those dam things alive.
frown.gif

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOVE IT PAUL, and who could pass up the opportunity to read a thread with ' Old Coot' in the title... lol

I'm with you mostly and sometimes wish that I'd stayed with my old regimen and ever so stable 'Softy' Tank. I've been messing around with the 'New School' methods now for past few years in hopes of creating somewhat of a 'Autopilot Reeftank' though in reality probably spend more time tinkering with it. Hoping to get my system up to snuff and hooked up to the internet before my trip to Kauai this Summer. Supposedly so I do not overly stress about its conditions while away. We'll have to see...

Cheers, Todd

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am a huge fan of doing things, cheaper, simpler, and sustainable. Keep doing what you're doing.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd I like LPS and softies much better than SPS. The only reason I have any SPS in my tank is because someone on one of these forums argued with me that my tank was to dirty to support SPS. Now they are all over the place, but the truth is that SPS bore me. I have some LPS with tentacles that are waving 5" in all directions and I consider that very cool. I am not in a contest to see if I can keep SPS. My acropora is having problems because my clown gobies spawn all over it and kill it. But I don't care about the acropora as everybody has acropora but how many people have spawning clown gobies? I go for the odd or unusual, hard to keep or rare. You can see her eggs here just above her. :usa2:

antsbumblebee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol fantastic :) I'm new to saltwater, but studied aquaculture in high school. I say forget having fancy tanks, I'd love having a well established, easy to maintain tank just so I can enjoy having a piece of the ocean in my living room with no worries! Obviously whatever you're doing works for you!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see you guys again.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun write up Paul! There is something to be said for "keep it simple stupid" which is my philosophy. Partly because I am old school and partly because I can't operate my VCR/DVD player much less some digital controller for the fish tank.

Reef.ductionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Paul, nice to meet you, I kinda know what you mean, I have had my tank going for all of about six months, and I experienced that tank bliss you speak of.

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guilty of believing everything I read on the Internet and I agree with your post 100 %. It's starting to get to where it's not fun anymore with all the worrying about if this is right or if that is right.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vlangel, I have my smart phone for 2 years now and it is a lot smarter than I am as I still can't get my text messages or do 90% of what it is supposed to do. I just want to make phone calls but the phone insists I want to know about the stars, where is Lindsey Lohan's re hab taking place, who won the olympics and when is low tide.
Reef.ductionist, nicer to meet you as I already know who I am

Salttanklife, people insist that they should have nothing but problems, Like, why bother? I can find problems in things I am not paying for, why would I want to spend all this money to give myself problems? Maybe it's me.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back