Looking for ideas to avoid a disaster...

goathead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I admit it, I made a huge mistake. I set my aquarium up on a stand that was not designed to support the weight of a 55 gal. reef tank. I noticed tonight that the stand is beginning to lean forward (about a quarter inch) and upon further inspection, I also noticed that the outer sides of the cabnet are not under the top, they are doweled to the side of it. The sides are showing signs of fatigue and beginning to seperate (1/16" as of now). I brought the stand in that came with my tank, thinking that I would pull 20 gal. out the tank and simply move it from one stand to the other... Won't suit my needs. The stupid thing is only 13" deep. I wouldn't be able to fit a sump in that narrow of a compartment without doing a custom build (which is not in the cards for me this time of year) so I am trying to figure out where to go from here. I could move my tank on to the original stand temporarily, while I rebuild the cabinet that it's currently on, or I could make an entirely new stand that is built the way I want, or I can try and reinforce it without moving the tank at all. I am not sure which direction to go and I have to be 100% comitted, any way I go. I do not want to have to do this twice. I do need to mention that I really like the stand that it is currently on, so I am apprehensive to start from scratch, but I also know that if it won't work, it won't work. Is it a bad idea to try and build under my tank??? Anyone have any thoughts?

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy that sucks.

My advice and the only practical way of doing this would be to reinforce the current stand as well as possible. Work on the new stand but don't take too long, we wouldn't want bad things to happen.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd temporarily reinforce It with some ugly 2x4's as much as you can, get them to take the load, then build a new stand or find a new on asap.

OP
OP
G

goathead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cutting 2x4's in my sleep last night as I tossed and turned, worrying about my tank. On my way to work to make my bracing. I hope that this will shore it up well enough

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back