fragging zoanthids

electricrcplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that receiving fresh cut zoanthids seems to have about a 50/50 chance of making it, I also always dip all corals to ensure I don't get any unwanted pests. I know if I scrape some of the frag plug with the zoa/paly success is much higher than actually cutting the polyp at the base, I have about a 80% success rate when fragging my own stuff. I usually do an iodine dip after I frag to ensure I avoid the dreaded white fungus. Is there really any trick to a higher success rate when receiving freshly cut frags? Of course some species frag easily and others are a little more sensitive.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im quite interested in this topic as well seeing as im about to have to do some fragging my self soon

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has depended on the type of zoos when it comes to my success rate. I have a few that seem impossible to scrape off. I have to break the rock they're on. Some others seem like they could handle a trip through a blender though.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never scrape. I get 95% rate when i cut the rock under. When corals are shipped there's too many variables to give you any advice other than acclimate for temperatureto not to shock them.

PRomero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always try to chip the rock under the zoa, less heal time than if you scrape the bottom.

rhino56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
read my sig if you are serious about zoas, dipping doesn't always remove all pests and it can certainly kill a zoa that's already weakened from a day in a bag.

Back