i found something now what

swissgaurd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was doing some spring cleaning today .behind my furnace I find this black bucket,quite heavy.
I open it and theres a bucket full of live rock in water.
its been sitting there for 2 yrs.
what do I do with it.the water is crystal clear,no odours.

Alyxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really see why not. But personally I would bleach it. 2 years with little to no waste to process and it probably isn't very live anyways

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why all the boiling/acid recommendations? I got some rock that was in a 5 gal pail for a few months, I changed the water in the pail, let it sit a week, changed it again, then added a piece a day to my tank over the course of a week and a half. No spikes, and the clean up crew loved me. Are we that afraid of hitchhikers?

TonsOfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt be afraid of hitchhikers after two years, just phosphates leaching from the rocks...

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt be afraid of hitchhikers after two years, just phosphates leaching from the rocks...

Where would the phosphates come from? All phosphates would have leached into the water in the bucket long ago.

Phosphate doesn't appear on it's own it is added in from fish poo and food (an external source)

I would change the water in the bucket. Let it sit for 24 hrs. Repeat maybe 2 more times

Then you are good to go

Especially since it was sealed

Last edited:

skiwez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please no don't boil it. Cooking Rock should not be taken literally. Phosphates if there were any to begin with will still be there didn't get any better or worse. If the bucket doesn't stink I would recommend dumping all the water put fresh saltwater in and a powerhead. Ghost feed and test for the normal ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate. Should treat like any other cycle. what would be even better is you have a QT tank cycle it in there. once values stabilize put in display

OP
OP
S

swissgaurd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if I test the water for nitrates and phosphates should I get a reading. if not rinse them and dry them out in the sun then reseed them.
if I do get a reading put them in the garden?

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if I test the water for nitrates and phosphates should I get a reading. if not rinse them and dry them out in the sun then reseed them.
if I do get a reading put them in the garden?

No not the garden

If you do get a reading. You can treat it like any other rock. Change the water in the bucket a few times. And then test again. And you will be good to go

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach and water for a day or two, then fresh water for a few days then dry and good to go! U can get very sick from boiling rock! It's been two years in a bucket, what's a couple days in some bleach water?

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would simply re-cycle it. Place it in a 10 gallon tank, with tank water, a heater and a skimmer (adding a bacteria cycle booster). Let the rock sit for a couple of weeks and recycle, allowing the protein skimmer to pull any waste out of the water. Do that for about a month, test the water in the tank, if you have no ammonia, no nitrates, and no phosphates - then it should be alright and live again.

ReefPiracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again boiling rock can cause toxins to be released into the air. I cycle rocks all the time out of my display. I take them out, place outside in a bucket that is cover loosely for a week or whatever you feel is long enuff to turn white. I don't want any animal/cat/dog getting into the stuff. Then just use a little tank water to soak for a few days and then place back in display. I do this just to kinda refresh the cycle. If you really want to cycle the rock before going in a tank use a heater and tank water to soak for a week or two. Even use a light for 4 hours.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be no worry about phosphates leeching. That would only be from the soft layer, which is probably gone of it's been in a bucket for years. Power washing and drying out should get rid of anything that might be left. Anything that has precipitated on to the rock is not going to leech. Besides phosphates might not be the worry everyone has thought but if that's the concern, $20 and 20 minutes of muriatic takes care of that

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back