Newbe Reefers

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you think people stay In this hobby after they start their first tank? This hobby Is very demanding with lots of ups and downs. Even experienced reefers experience Issues from time to time. Maintaining a reef tank can be demanding but that's what's make the hobby so Intriguing. if you are starting a reef tank please do your research and ask questions and don't give up. This can be a very rewarding hobby that will bring lots of enjoyment.

Stefano Russo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a lifetime addiction! There should really be some support groups for this.

i agree 100%.
I also say that depends:
First what they expect from their tank
second what patience they have
third what perseverance and love they put in your hobby.

I love my tank and it has become a lifestyle for me even if when i started alone i was lost and lost many animals and patiance, but know i cant live without my tank :d

Attachments

• 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 116

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the average time is 2-3 years, because I think most people give up after 6-12 months that are going to quit early, which I think are the majority, but there are a lot of people that have been in the hobby a long time to bring the average up.

ETORRES477

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is probably a higher turn over with reefers. A lot of people see all these pretty corals in other members tanks and jump into the hobby head first without any real plan. Reality then sets in pretty quickly for these types and they soon find themselves in over their head due to lack of knowledge needed for successful husbandry of a reef tank. I do not think there is such a high turnover rate for fish only tanks or people running fowlr's. The latter is very easy to maintain when compared with a reef tank.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fish only tank for awhile, but honestly coral is what kept me interested in the hobby. It would be nice to have the best of both worlds though. And another thing is, coral you can frag and trade/sell for more, which makes it a lil more fun.

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got into this about a year ago myself. I now have 4 tanks and am thinking about a 5th breeder for the basement...

Nuvo 8
Oceanic 14
Nuvo 16
Fusion 40

All 3 friends that got me into this have recently all bailed... They all made it around the 1-2yr mark.

Hopefully I stay in it. Its certainly been an addiction for me.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back