Calcium reactor question..

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Heart of Dixie--------------------------Mtgy,Ala
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a rate of 120ml out the effluent line and its giving me a reading of 244ppm alk in tank is 148 ppm ca doser set at 6.55
Should i drop the ph to 6.50 and run a rate slower out of the effluent or how do most people do this. it seems like i get a reading of alk throughout the day in my tank and cant keep it level. I am using a kalk stirrer also dosing every 15 minutes for about a minute.

Main thing is the effluent rate. Im curious to know what others have there's at

thanks

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My effluent is a very fast drip just short of a steady stream. Not sure what the equates to in ML per minute or hour.

Last edited:

vpustovoytov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have the same problem u described above I can't keep it level I mean alk and cal mag is 1380

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have the same problem u described above I can't keep it level I mean alk and cal mag is 1380

are you able to test the effluent alk coming out, tell me what your running and how your reading the ph in the reactor what drip rate are you at outta the effluent line
what size tank how big reactor or how man lbs of coral your using in reactor what type. Would help to know a little more about setup

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budman mine is set at a pretty fast drip rate on a MRC CR-6 and PH in first chamber of reactor is in the 6.5ish range as I have it so that the solenoid never turns off with a low point of 6.40 and a high of 6.70. The last time I tested my effluent out of reactor with a Salifert test kit using the low range and it was in the upper 20 dkh range. I also have a kalk dosing system and I dose about 60ml of kalk at the top and bottom of each hour and it keeps it steady. I have had to adjust the amount dosed to keep it in the alk range that I want and this method worked for me. I would say that if you CA reactor is keeping CA and Mag numbers steady then I would just up the amount slowly out of your kalk stirrer until you get the alk stable at least that is what I did with my system.

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can measure the rate of effluent out this weekend if you want me to so you can get an idea of how fast my drip rate is.....

vpustovoytov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 90 gal + sump 20 gal, 15 coral frags
My calcium reactor is geo 618 fully filled with TLF course media
My effluent is ~500 ppm
My drip is 60/min
Ph controller set up with apex at 6.55-6.7

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can measure the rate of effluent out this weekend if you want me to so you can get an idea of how fast my drip rate is.....

Ive got mine finally set but vpustovoytov
needed some help. I too drip around 85ml per minute so its a steady stream almost.my ph stays at 6.49 and have the apex set at 6.47 to cut off and 6.51 to cut on,but its constantly sending co2 in ,just use the apex as a saftey feature.. I had it b4 cutting on /off but the relay in the apex got stuck and it was in the on position,lucky i had a alarm and was at home to fix it, so i changed it..

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 90 gal + sump 20 gal, 15 coral frags
My calcium reactor is geo 618 fully filled with TLF course media
My effluent is ~500 ppm
My drip is 60/min
Ph controller set up with apex at 6.55-6.7

are you testing the same time everyday?

vpustovoytov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have oversized CR and it doesn't keep up with my tank demands I don't understand why, some people can maintain cal, alk stable without kalkwasser

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have oversized CR and it doesn't keep up with my tank demands I don't understand why, some people can maintain cal, alk stable without kalkwasser

I had to add a Avast Kalk stirrer and it runs for 1 minute every 15 minutes all day, it helps keep the ph from going to low also ,but im in the process of adding another chamber to the cal reactor so its not dumping a 7.0 ph into my tank.. I use the kalk stirrer as my top off which i evaporate 3600ml a day

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you run bio pellets as I found out that alk gets depleted more when running them. I don't know about any of the other carbon dosing types (vodka, vinegar, etc) if they use up alk as well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back