Using old sand for new tank

JLight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking around and can't seem to find anything for my exact experience so I figured I'd ask r2r. I broke down my 75 gallon reef close to a year ago and kept the sand and rock. My question is can I use the sand I took out of the 75 and put it into the brand new 46 gallon I'm starting? The 46 hasn't started yet so it will be involved with the cycle. Any input will help!

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I would give it a wash down first to get out any decayed organics from old tank.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are starting with a new build I would start with new sand.

saltyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, just rinse it well in ro/di water first. There shouldn't be anything alive in there after a year if it has been dry this whole time. I gave my old sand away because I didn't want to mess with rinsing it. Just depends on if you see it as being worthwhile instead of buying new sand.

Last edited:

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't use it, sand is pretty much the cheapest thing that goes in your tank, not worth the risk in my opinion

OP
OP
JLight

JLight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the tank hasn't even started yet so wouldn't the tank going through a cycle get rid of any harm that could be done?

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dry it out completely for a week or two on a piece of plastic, then wash it all out really well then reuse... But that is just what I would do. Gotta ensure it's all dead and all that dead is out of the sand before reintroducing it to the tank.

OP
OP
JLight

JLight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been out of the original tank for months and the tank it's going into hasn't even started yet so I can't imagine anything dead in it would effect anything right? If anything it will aid with the cycle

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OLD sand may have phosphates precipitated into it from the previous tank. I would never use it. Many experienced reef keepers actually replace their sand bed every few years just to remove all the junk it catches.

townjas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in a similar situation, but I have a 55 up and running that am moving the contents into a 150.
I have quite a bit of new sand for the 150, but would it be beneficial to use all or some of the sand from my 55.
I know I can use some to help with the cycling, but would all just make the process quicker?
The sand in the 55 is probably about 2 inches and it will give me probably 3+ inches in the 150.
Ohh and I am going to put the 150 onto the sump that I have had running with the 55 since last fall.

Phishy McGee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in a similar situation, but I have a 55 up and running that am moving the contents into a 150.
I have quite a bit of new sand for the 150, but would it be beneficial to use all or some of the sand from my 55.
I know I can use some to help with the cycling, but would all just make the process quicker?
The sand in the 55 is probably about 2 inches and it will give me probably 3+ inches in the 150.
Ohh and I am going to put the 150 onto the sump that I have had running with the 55 since last fall.

I just finished my plumbing on my 125 last night, I'm upgrading from a 55 that I've had for 3 years. I'm not using any of the old sand. It's been pooped on, food mixed in, algae mixed into, ect for years. I mean maybe you could wash it out but I doubt you'll get it all then you're just adding old poop to your new tank. I bit the bullet and bought all new sand. I hear people have had horrible experiences trying to salvage old sand.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back