Reefers Best Salt Test?

Ultimateaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on the Zeo forum reading and they keep recommending the Reefers best salt. I was wanting to get a less biased opinion from here on this salt. I bought one extremely expensive box of it and the readings on it were terrible. Low Alk (which it is supposed to have), 300 calcium, and <1000 Magnesium. It seemed to test ok with my first water change so I didn't think much of it. Then when I had some trouble with a couple corals I did some large water changes and things really started to go bad. When I finally thought to recheck the salt I found it to be the problem.

Anybody else have this experience? I've read several posts on the Zeo forum saying the same thing, but the people answering questions over there keep recommending it to everybody. Starting to wonder if the main people there answering questions even have tanks:) They never show pics??:squigglemouth:

kgross

Local Fish Store Owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your numbers are correct I would say it is worthless as a reef tank salt mix.... But I have never used it or heard much of anything about it.

Kim

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't you suppose to use that salt with zeovit or prodibio?? Maybe someone using one of those product will respond??

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep i think that salt is made to be used with zeovit. The water is suppose to be close to NSW for zeovit system.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RBS is made by Korallen Zucht (ZEOvit manufacturers) in Germany.

Unfortunately there have been several reports of inconsistant readings in the past year or so, and I know many ZEO users whom have moved away from it totally. The KZ guys will straighten it out, but I'm not waiting around to find out ;)

Are you running a Probiotic system? If not, IMO I'd stick with a more common salt. RBS and other salts for Probiotic systems are used to keep levels at NSW levels which is necessary while running these systems. When using salts that mix to higher readings (ie, ALK 8-10) they must be adjusted, hence the reason why salts like this exist... to prevent any adjustments being necessary. If you are running a Probiotic method, I can recommend you a GREAT salt that tests spot-on, every time, for people around the US (me included) for quite some time now.

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunreefer, What salt are you talking about, I am using H2OCEAN for right now I didnt like rbs. The H2Ocean is pretty good but if there is a better one to use with zeo I would try it.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GTA Formula 2 = Get Tanked Aquariums Formula 2 (for Low-Nutrient Systems)

Its a "custom" hand made salt by Gary at GTAs... really great stuff. It's a bit pricey, but not as bad as RBS, and GTA salt is all rated at sg of 1.026. For example if you buy a "150 gal" bucket of Reef Crystals, it will not make you 150 gals at sg 1.026, so your really getting a 125 or so gallon bucket. Thus GTA prices is not as expensive as I initially thought... check out the ZEO forum for more info and/or testimonials from Jeff, Bob and other "heads."

BTW I 'bout near fell out of my chair when I read your sig :hammer:

Last edited:

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask a silly question about the GTA salt....how does one add their own NaCl (for the salt free version)? Obviously this would cut down on shipping costs, but I have no idea where I would go to get my own pure NaCl locally.

OP
OP
U

Ultimateaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on Zeo, but stopped during all this. I think all the problems I was having was because of that salt. I want to try the Get Tanked salt, but I'm worried about them getting too big to be able to keep up with demand. I've seen a lot of salt companies not able to keep up with standards. It doesn't seem like there is a salt manufacturer out there with very consistant batches.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris, that is something you'll have to ask Gary about... there is a thread on the ZEO forum regarding this as well. I looked into it a bit, and apparently its pretty easy to source (grocery store?), however since I'm paying for a high quality salt, I don't feel comforatable doing things like that (just MO). This also will remain more consistant, for me at least.

Ultimateaquariums, I couldn't agree more... I was VERY skeptical intially... I even wrote it off completely for a while... then I did some more research and spoke with a couple non biast people and then Gary at GTAs. He's a long time hobbyist and is incredibly knowledgable regarding salts and many other aspects. He realizes how crucial the consistancy is, which is why he started making his own salt (some ten years ago now). I will continue testing every time I mix it (which should be done anyways), but I do not expect a ton of people will jump on board causing him to have to make major process changes (even if all U.S. ZEO users do - there's just not that many in total). At this point every batch is "made-to-order," so assuming it remains like this (and hand-made) quality and consistancy will remain top-notch. Every part of the salt is carefully "hand -weighed" out on a scale (not by a machine), then stirred together pakcaged and shipped.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

Ultimateaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give it a shot. I mixed Oceanic and Reef Crystals and get GREAT readings, but man there's a lot of crap in my storage container. Didn't have any with the Reefers Best. How is the Get Tanked as far as residue?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Of coarse people on a zeovit forum will be a little bit bias. I do not have problem with the zeovit method it does work. But if you go to their forums your going to get a very one sided opinion. Its like going to a xbox forum and asking what is best a ps3 or a 360. I was doing so research on some of their products and one guy replied in every thread of every product on how good it was and how his corals do so much better and so much more colorful. All I could think is by the time he added all those additives there must have been no water left in his tank, just additives. Also his corals must have been so bright you had to wear sunglasses.

I have no opinion on the salt since I have never used or tested it. I usually buy what is cheapest salt and bring it up to the levels I like it. I only by name brand salt though... But I have to admit I got some tunze salt and am really liking it.

Also it is possible to get a bad batch of salt so always test it..

Dave

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back