Carpet? Yes or No?

Fieryfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125gal tank. That I have set up as a Reef tank. I have a friend that wants to give me a small Carpet Anemone (4"), And I am wondering if this would be a bad idea with everything that I have in my tank.

Right now I have:

RBTA, A long polyp leather, Frogspawn, A Lot of Hammers, Duncans, Torch, A bunch of Zoa and Paly, Some Large Hollywood Stunner Chalice, and SPS.

I am a little afraid. What are your throughts. I hear they can be very aggressive.

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you give it enough space from other corals you should be fine. You will have to understand that you might to lose a couple of small fish to it though because of how sticky their tentacles are. Really cool anemone . Also you have to have strong lights and fees them relatively frequently (for an anemone).

OP
OP
Fieryfrog

Fieryfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my other concern is my Purple Tang. He wasn't cheap and my wife has fallen in love with him. Any chance that he could get stuck, when he is exploring?

bigsby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, without a doubt your purple tang could easily get stuck to the carpet and not be able to get free. I lost a large powder brown like that and it wasn't pretty to watch. It doesn't take much contact and those carpets will just pull them right in quick.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iwouldnt do it. i have a carpet anemone, i've been lucky enough for years its been in the same spot, never hurting any of my corals, but it has killed 2 fish. and it just takes one day when im at work or school for it to move 6-12 inches and 10 corals will be dead. i need to get rid of mine lol

OP
OP
Fieryfrog

Fieryfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always loved them, but always been afraid to get one. I cant even grab him and throw him in my QT because of what might happen if I do have to puy anything into quarantine.

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe go with some maxi minis as they'll be less likely to kill your fish especially something large like a purple tang

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back